[net.graphics] help with bit map compression

whp@cbnap.UUCP (W. H. Pollock x4575 3S235) (07/22/86)

Can anyone point me toward some references for bit map compression schemes?  In
particular, I want to compress a 2^n x 2^n pixel image, each pixel with 2^m
grey levels, into less than 2^(2n) x 2^(m-1) bits.  (I really only need an
algorithm for m=1, but am interested in the more general case.)

Thanks!
W. H. Pollock,
UUCP:	...{ihnp4,cbatt}!cbnap!whp
DELPHI:	WHP
GEnie:	W.POLLOCK
US MAIL:6200 East Broad Street, Columbus Ohio 43213 Room: 3S-235

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) (07/23/86)

In article <151@cbnap.UUCP> whp@cbnap.UUCP (W. H. Pollock x4575 3S235) writes:
>Can anyone point me toward some references for bit map compression schemes?  In
>particular, I want to compress a 2^n x 2^n pixel image, each pixel with 2^m
>grey levels, into less than 2^(2n) x 2^(m-1) bits.  (I really only need an
>algorithm for m=1, but am interested in the more general case.)

Try "Compression of Two-Dimensional Data", A. Lempel & J. Ziv, IEEE
Transactions on Information Theory, January 1986, Vol. IT-32, No. 1.,
pp. 2-8.
--
Ken Turkowski @ CIMLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo}!turtlevax!ken