[net.graphics] Color Mapping Algorithms

cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) (07/24/86)

I am looking for pointers to algorithms (thats '(algorithm *)' for you
C programmers) that can map n bit color images where n is the same
for each of the red, green, and blue components, to an n bit image
where 2^n specifies the number of colors available, each of which
is definable by an m bit color vector (r,g,b). In plain english
how to map an RGB image into an image producable by a palette ram
based display. Thanks,

--Chuck McManis
  Sun MicroSystems
  ...!sun!cmcmanis

jon@amdahl.UUCP (Jonathan Leech) (07/25/86)

In article <5405@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) writes:
> I am looking for pointers to algorithms (thats '(algorithm *)' for you
> C programmers) that can map n bit color images where n is the same
> for each of the red, green, and blue components, to an n bit image
> where 2^n specifies the number of colors available, each of which
> is definable by an m bit color vector (r,g,b). In plain english
> how to map an RGB image into an image producable by a palette ram
> based display. Thanks,

    'Color Image Quantization for Frame Buffer Display'
    Paul Heckbert
    Computer Graphics, Vol 16, #3, July 1982 pg 297.

    -- Jon Leech (...seismo!amdahl!jon)
    UTS Products / Amdahl Corporation
    __@/

sow@luthcad.UUCP (07/30/86)

In article <5405@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP writes:
>I am looking for pointers to algorithms (thats '(algorithm *)' for you
>C programmers) that can map n bit color images where n is the same
>for each of the red, green, and blue components, to an n bit image
>where 2^n specifies the number of colors available, each of which
>is definable by an m bit color vector (r,g,b). In plain english
>how to map an RGB image into an image producable by a palette ram
>based display. Thanks,

	R.J. Stevens, A.F. Lehar, F.H. Preston.
	Manipulation and Presentation of Multidimensional
	Image Data Using the Peano Scan.
	IEEE, PAMI-5,  sept. 1983, pg 520.

	E.A. Patrick, D.R. Anderson, F.K. Bechtel.
	Mapping multidimensional space to one dimension
	for computer output display.
	IEEE, Trans. Comput. pp. 949-953, Oct 1968.

Sven-Ove Westberg
Computer Aided Analysis and Design  (CAAD)
UUCP:  {decvax,philabs,seismo}!mcvax!enea!luthcad!sow

sow@luthcad.UUCP (08/01/86)

In article <5405@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP writes:
>I am looking for pointers to algorithms (thats '(algorithm *)' for you
>C programmers) that can map n bit color images where n is the same
>for each of the red, green, and blue components, to an n bit image
>where 2^n specifies the number of colors available, each of which
>is definable by an m bit color vector (r,g,b). In plain english
>how to map an RGB image into an image producable by a palette ram
>based display. Thanks,

Cannon, Robert L., Jitendra V. Dave, and James C. Bezdek, "Effi-
     cient Implementation of the Fuzzy c-Means Clustering Algo-
     rithms," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intel-
     ligence, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 248-255, March 1986.

Lehar, A.F. and R.J. Stevens, "High-Speed Manipulation of the
     Color Chromaticity of Digital Images.," IEEE Computer Graph-
     ics and Application, p. 34, feb. 1984.

Magnetat-Thalmann, N., N. Chourot, and D. Thalmann, "Colour Gra-
     dation, Shading and Texture Using a Limited Terminal," Com-
     puter Graphics Forum, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 83-90, March, 1984.