[net.graphics] XWINDOWS question

rdt@houxv.UUCP (R.TRAUBEN) (08/23/86)

Hello:

Does anyone have a pointer in the public domain literature to
a program called XWINDOWS?

It is a portable bitmapped window manager developed at MIT which
runs under Berkeley UNIX.

I would like to find out more about its capabilities and whether
its functionality is similar to the ATT DMD 5620 layers software.
Can it run under UNIX 5.2 or greater? How similar is it to the DGIS
window management software?

Does it subsume CGI/VDI software while doing window management
or does it make assumptions about some underlying CGI/VDI functions.

Does any 3rd party software house port XWINDOWS? (As GSS and others
do for DGIS).

I am interested in any experiences others may have had with
such firms and wonder whether they would use XWINDOWS again
if they had the choice.

Richard

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (08/26/86)

> Hello:
>
> Does anyone have a pointer in the public domain literature to
> a program called XWINDOWS?
>

> Richard

jim gettys directed me to send requests to xrequest@MIT.ATHENA.EDU

also the latest version of emacs (2.10) from unipress claims to
support Xwindows (i just ordered it so i can't say for sure)

hope that helps
--
----
		It aint life that gets me down, it's gravity

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

yba@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Mark H Levine) (08/29/86)

In article <484@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:

>> Hello:
>>
>> Does anyone have a pointer in the public domain literature to
>> a program called XWINDOWS?
>>

>> Richard
>
>jim gettys directed me to send requests to xrequest@MIT.ATHENA.EDU
>
>also the latest version of emacs (2.10) from unipress claims to
>support Xwindows (i just ordered it so i can't say for sure)

While not precisely public domain, X has been made widely available for
porting and use without license encumbrances (there is an MIT
copyright).

MIT can supply a tape with X on it for ~$100.  If you want an emacs that
works with it, you can get GNUEMACS from the Free Software Foundation.
Getting an up-to-date xemacs may be harder.

On X the last official word I have is:

    As of this week (8/18/86) xwindow requests for information, ordering
    and distribution procedures will be handled by MIT Publications -
    Microcomputer Store - Rm 11-229A, Ext. 3-6325.  Anyone that wants
    software or documentation should also be directed to them.

This translates to MIT Publications, Microcomputer Store, 11-229A MIT,
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA, 02139; (617) 253-6325.

For info on GNU, you can contact:

   Free Software Foundation, Inc.
   1000 Mass Ave
   Cambridge, MA 02138

   (617) 876-3296

or use ftp to grab it directly from prep.ai.mit.edu:/u2/emacs if
you have access.  The emacs is free, they only charge if you want
them to prepare a tape for you (you are allowed to take a copy
from anyone who has it).  Both X and GNUEMACS are standard issue
at Project Athena.

--
Eleazor bar Shimon, Carolingia