[net.graphics] Image processing newsgroup

denis@52384.dec.com (Michel DENIS - Engineering VBO - 828-5073) (09/03/86)

Is anybody interested in the creation of an "Image Processing" newsgroup ?

Michel DENIS
Digital Equipment

(DEC E-NET)	LEROUF::DENIS
(UUCP)		...decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-lerouf!denis

skinner@saber.UUCP (Robert Skinner) (09/04/86)

> Is anybody interested in the creation of an "Image Processing" newsgroup ?

This question came up several months ago.  After a period of discussion,
it was concluded that

  A:  There is not enough "pure image processing" traffic to warrant
  another news group.

  B:  Image processing articles should be posted to net.graphics
  because the subjects are so closely related.  Besides the two camps
  will tend to learn from each other, and in most cases the graphics
  people wanted more image processing articles for that very same
  reason.

  C:  If and when the image processing traffic becomes large, everyone
  (graphics and image processing types alike) will agree that a
  separate news group should be created.

  D:  The net.graphics traffic is not large enough to justify the "I'm
  tired of wading through 100's of graphics articles for the two image
  processing articles of interest to me" complaint (also known as the
  "I'm tired of trying to find a joke in net.jokes" complaint).

These opinions were never formally written out like this, but this
seems to be the consensus from what I saw.

Any objections?

"Raytracing is not too slow.
 Computers are too slow."
	James Kajiya, Siggraph '86

Name:	Robert Skinner
Snail:	Saber Technology, 2381 Bering Drive, San Jose, California 95131
AT&T:	(408) 435-8600
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!saber!skinner
	...{amd,ihnp4,ittvax}!saber!skinner

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (09/05/86)

In article <2038@saber.UUCP> skinner@saber.UUCP (Robert Skinner) writes:
>> Is anybody interested in the creation of an "Image Processing" newsgroup ?

Perhaps it would be appropriate to have the 'vislist' arpanet mailing
list gated to USENET.  (Similar to the info-graphics <->mod.graphics link)

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone: (412) 268-2847 [CMU-BUGS], 268-3275
Amateur Radio: KA3PLY (c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club) [packet mailbox coming soon!]
Fido: Ralph Hyre at Pitt-Net [don't log in very often]

gungner@zeus.cs.ucla.edu (David Gungner) (09/07/86)

You may be interested in joining the vision-list (Vision-List-Request@ADS.ARPA)
Its emphasis is on vision research and image processing techniques.

shep@datacube.UUCP (09/09/86)

You may be interested in joining the vision-list (Vision-List-Request@ADS.ARPA)
Its emphasis is on vision research and image processing techniques.

The vision-list distribution has been intermittent at best. I would like
to see it better linked to usenet. We would be willing to nfpipe it into
net.graphics if desired; although AIDS.ARPA probably has a connection
closer to a backbone.

Shep Siegel                    UUCP: [ihnp4 | mirror]!datacube!shep
Datacube Inc.; 4 Dearborn Rd.; Peabody, Ma. 01960;     617 535 6644