[net.graphics] US/World Databases wanted

tomh@hpfcms.HP.COM ( Tom Huigbretse ) (09/11/86)

I've been looking for a good world and/or US database.
I would like to start building up a libary of map/geographical
information.

I keep hearing of these nifty public-domain databases from the
Census Bureau, the Forestry Service, and the CIA, but I have
never found out where to get hold of them.  Does someone have
a copy of WDB2 (or whatever) that I could send a tape to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Huibregtse
phone 303-229-2195

.

jeffg@tekcbi.UUCP (Jeff Glover) (09/13/86)

In article <1420001@hpfcms.HP.COM> tomh@hpfcms.HP.COM ( Tom Huigbretse ) writes:
>I've been looking for a good world and/or US database.
>I would like to start building up a libary of map/geographical
>information.
>
>I keep hearing of these nifty public-domain databases from the
>Census Bureau, the Forestry Service, and the CIA, but I have
>never found out where to get hold of them.  Does someone have
>a copy of WDB2 (or whatever) that I could send a tape to?

From my (6 month old) files:

The detail level on these tapes is 1:2,000,000.

US GeoData tapes are sold by information layers and geographic
sections.  Three layers are available -- boundaries, transportation,
and hydrographic.  The boundary layer includes State and county
boundaries and all Federally administered lands.  The transportation
layer includes roads, railroads, and airports.  The hydrographic
layer includes streams and water bodies.

There are 15 sections covering the conterminous [this is a word; look
it up!] 48 states, 5 for Alaska and 1 for Hawaii -- a total of 21.
Prices are $100 per layer of information for each section.

There are no discounts for buying more than one tape.  Multiply 21
sections by 3 layers by $100 and you get $6300 for all of the data for
the United States.  A bargain.

For technical information:

Eastern Mapping Center - NCIC, US Geological Survey, 536 National Center,
	Reston, VA  22092 (703)-860-6336

To place orders elsewhere, there are other offices:
    Mid-Continent Mapping Center, Rolla, MO  (314)-341-0851
    NCIC, NSTL Station, MS  (601)-688-3544
    Rocky Mountain Mapping Center, Denver, CO  (303)-234-2326
    Western Mapping Center, Menlo Park, CA  (415)-323-8111
    Alaska Office NCIC, Anchorage, AK  (907)-271-4148
--
Jeff C. Glover, Tektronix, Inc. PO Box 500, MS 02-305, Beaverton, OR 97077
{ decvax, allegra, hplabs, ihnp4 } tektronix!tekcbi!jeffg   (503) 627-7595