[net.graphics] Fractals

rich@sdcc13.UUCP (rich) (05/01/85)

Dear newsgroup,
    I am interested in building some fractal mountains.
Is there a place that I can look for some good algorithms,  that
create mountains without big holes in the center? I all ready have
Mandelbrot's book.

Thanks,

rich

wfi@unc.UUCP (William F. Ingogly) (05/04/85)

> I am interested in building some fractal mountains.
> Is there a place that I can look for some good algorithms,  that
> create mountains without big holes in the center? I all ready have
> Mandelbrot's book.

You should read "Computer Rendering of Stochastic Models," by Alain
Fournier, Don Fussel, and Loren Carpenter (CACM, June 1982). This
article should get you started on modelling landscapes. By the way,
Mandelbrot objects STRONGLY to these models being called fractals.

Other modelling techniques for natural objects that may interest
you or someone else in the newsgroup:

   Particle systems - used for modelling the wall of fire in the
                      Genesis effect sequence in the Star Trek
                      movie (Star Trek II?). The reference is
                      "Particle Systems - A Technique for
                       Modelling a Class of Fuzzy Objects," by
                      Bill Reeves (ACM Transactions on Graphics,
                      April 1983). Also used by Lucasfilms and
                      others for modelling plants.

   L grammars       - a class of bracketed grammars that's useful
                      for modelling branching structures like
                      plants. The reference is "Plants, Fractals,
                      and Formal Languages," by Alvy Ray Smith
                      (SIGGRAPH Conference Proceedings, July 1984).

You may also want to look into texture mapping, depending on the
nature of your application. Simple polygonal structures can be given a
highly realistic look by mapping a complex "mountain" texture onto
them when they are rendered.

                                    -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (06/25/85)

I'd give my right arm for some good 3-D fractal generators. Like Mountains,
or those swirly 3D things I saw in a magazine once.

--

-  Sean Casey				UUCP:	sean@ukma   or
-  Department of Mathematics			{cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean

rivero@kovacs.UUCP (Michael Foster Rivero) (06/27/85)

In article <1909@ukma.UUCP> sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:
>I'd give my right arm for some good 3-D fractal generators. Like Mountains,
>or those swirly 3D things I saw in a magazine once.

	Sean (And all other fractal people)

	  Most people working with fractals  work  for  companies  who
	view  unrestricted  distribution  of  code  as  punishable  by
	hanging (slowly).

	  However, net.graphics is an ideal forum for trading tips and
	tricks  on Mountains and those swirly 3D things (which are two
	completly different functions, incidentally).

	  Maybe it's time to establish net.graphics.fractals ?

	  Any comments or suggestions from the net?

					Michael Rivero

turner@saber.UUCP (Jim Turner) (06/27/85)

> I'd give my right arm for some good 3-D fractal generators. Like Mountains,
> or those swirly 3D things I saw in a magazine once.

wouldn't we all !! perhaps some kind soul in netland could post some public
domain s/w in this area, in need not be a complete package, i'm sure there
are lots of us who would benefit from this

never re-invent the wheel
--
			god bless Lily St. Cyr
			 -Rocky Horror Picture Show

Name:	James Turner
Mail:	Saber Technology, 2381 Bering Drive, San Jose, California 95131
AT&T:	(408) 945-9600 x75
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!saber!turner
	...{amd,ihnp4,ittvax}!saber!turner

rmc@lanl.ARPA (06/29/85)

> In article <1909@ukma.UUCP> sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:
> >I'd give my right arm for some good 3-D fractal generators. Like Mountains,
> >or those swirly 3D things I saw in a magazine once.

	Last year, I wrote a fairly complete package
for generating analytic 3-D fractals ("those swirly
things").  The code (a) calculates boundary representations
of fractal surfaces generated by iterating polynomials
over the quaternions and (b) casts the model into a
z-buffer, with interpolated shading.  (Fractal surfaces
are infinitely discontinuous, so where's the normal?)

	I wrote the course as a term project in CS175,
Harvard's lab course in computer graphics.  The code
is thus available to anyone who wants it.  (It runs
on 4.x and it's all written in C; the output files are
fairly standard pixel maps.)  The code was written as
a real fire drill; I won't maintain it now, but it did
work quite well in the not-too-distant past.

	A high-resolution run takes hours on a 780 with
FPA (all the calculations are integral, so there!), but
the resulting pictures can be quite dramatic.

	Please let me know if you're interested.

			R. Martin Chavez (rmc@lanl.ARPA)

			Q-4 Nuclear Safeguards
			Mail Stop E541
			Los Alamos National Laboratory
			Los Alamos, NM 87545

hmm@unido.UUCP (06/29/85)

And what do I do with your right arm ? :-)

	Hans-Martin Mosner
	Universitaet Dortmund (Germany)
	ihnp4!hpfcla!hpbbn!unido!hmm
	      seismo!mcvax!unido!hmm

haddock@waltz (07/05/85)

I was fingering the latest mag's the other day (in a bookstore,
where else?) and one of the latest rags had some sources for
fractal generation.  Although I believe it was in BASIC (wretch)
I'm sure someone out there could convert it to some more reasonable
language (e.g. Scheme, C, 8086 assembly :-)).  Come to think of it
the mag may have been "PC Tech Journal" but...  Maybe I'll drop
$3 or $4 for the stupid thing.

                           _____
        -Rusty-         |\/   o \    o
                        |   (  -<  O o     Where's the fish?
                        |/\__V__/

ARPA:   Haddock%TI-CSL.csnet@CSNet-Relay.arpa   or  Rusty@Maryland
CSNet:  Haddock@TI-CSL
USENET: {ut-sally, convex!smu, texsun, rice} ! waltz ! haddock

rfb@cmu-cs-h.ARPA (Rick Busdiecker) (07/09/85)

There are things which will definitely have to be changed for whatever your
output device is, but if people are interested I could either post it or
net-mail it to those who want it.

				Rick Busdiecker
				rfb@cmu-cs-h

rns@aicchi.UUCP (Schreiner) (07/23/85)

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN	August 1985

Has some very interesting full color pictures of fractal dragons.

brooke@wolf.UUCP (Brooke Jarrett) (09/28/86)

Is there a Line Eater?

	Is there anybody out there in net-land doing anything with Fractals?
I think they are just great to look at, ArtMatrix sells some nice postcards.

	Let's have some response to this.

#include <std.disclaimer.h>

Brooke L. Jarrett               CliniComp Intl.                  (619)-588-4114
UUCP:     ...!{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!man!wolf!brooke              11022 Dutton Dr.
When asked if the game of Go was like life.  He replied,          La Mesa, Ca.
      "No.  Life is like Go."  ---  Japanese 9-dan                 92041-7261