[net.graphics] bsp algorithm

DANAB@PUCC.BITNET (Dana Batali) (09/22/86)

Can anyone give me some references on the BSP (binary space partition)
algorithm for sorting 3d polygons ... has anyone implemented this
algorithm .... from what little I've heard it seems like it would
be useful in an interactive 3d graphics environment for speeding
redraw.

falk@sun.UUCP (09/28/86)

> Can anyone give me some references on the BSP (binary space partition)
> algorithm for sorting 3d polygons

THE definitive reference is "Near Real-Time Shaded Display of Rigid
Objects" by Henry Fuchs, Gergory D. Abram & Eric D. Grant.  It's in
the '83 Siggraphs proceedings.

--
		-ed falk, sun microsystems
			falk@sun.com

elf@cui.UUCP (FIUME Eugene) (10/07/86)

In article <7708@sun.uucp> falk@sun.UUCP writes:
>THE definitive reference is "Near Real-Time Shaded Display of Rigid
>Objects" by Henry Fuchs, Gergory D. Abram & Eric D. Grant.  It's in
>the '83 Siggraphs proceedings.

Well, in fairness, Bruce Naylor should be referred to when discussing
BSP algorithms.  See the SIGGRAPH 1980 paper by Fuchs, Kedem and Naylor,
or Naylor's Ph.D. Thesis at U. of Texas at Dallas.
---
Eugene Fiume
Centre Universitaire d'Informatique
mcvax!cernvax!cui!elf