[net.graphics] SIGGRAPH Film and Video Show

twb@hoqax.UUCP (BEATTIE) (10/07/86)

Are video tape copies of the Film and Video show available? (1986?, 1985?)
How do I order them?

Tom.
T.W. Beattie
...!{ihnp4 | houxm | whuxl | ulysses}!hoqax!twb
...!{decvax | ucbvax}!ihnp4!hoqax!twb

turner@imagen.UUCP (10/10/86)

> Are video tape copies of the Film and Video show available? (1986?, 1985?)
> How do I order them?
>
> Tom.
> T.W. Beattie
> ...!{ihnp4 | houxm | whuxl | ulysses}!hoqax!twb
> ...!{decvax | ucbvax}!ihnp4!hoqax!twb

i just happen to have to form right here..now where did i put here?...

ACM order Dept.
P.O. BOX 64145
Baltimore, MD 21264

tapes are $50.00 to members $60 to non-members, they put out a nifty pamphlet
on the tapes etc. called _Focus on Graphics_ which you can get from

ACM
11 West 2nd St.
New York, NY 10031

good luck
--
----
		These are days for the locust to eat

Name:	James M. Turner
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner
CompuServe: 76327,1575
GEnie     : D-ARCANGEL

turner@imagen.UUCP (10/10/86)

back fingers, back

i made a major boo-boo in my last followup
ACM's address is

11 West 42nd Street

sorry

--
----

doris@onfcanim.UUCP (Doris Kochanek) (10/12/86)

In article <606@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP writes:

>> Are video tape copies of the Film and Video show available? (1986?, 1985?)
>> How do I order them?
>
>ACM order Dept.
>P.O. BOX 64145
>Baltimore, MD 21264
>
>tapes are $50.00 to members $60 to non-members, they put out a nifty pamphlet

Having worked on these shows for the last four years, there is an important
point that I feel needs to be to clarified.  The videotapes that you can
order through ACM are the "SIGGRAPH Video Review" which is intended as an
educational resource in computer graphics.  The material on those tapes
includes pieces that were shown at the SIGGRAPH Film & Video shows, as
well as videotapes presented during SIGGRAPH technical paper sessions, and
other material of interest.  Usually several new tapes come out every year.

However, SIGGRAPH cannot make tapes of the *complete* Film & Video Show
available for sale.  Most of the commercial production houses cannot
give clearance for this type of distribution due to restrictions in
contracts with their clients.  Other contributors simply don't want to
give clearance because they anticipate potential revenues through other
distribution channels.  In practice, this means that many of the really
"hot" items from the SIGGRAPH Film & Video Shows (e.g. "Tony de Peltrie"
in 1985, "Luxo Jr." in 1986) are NOT available on the SIGGRAPH video
reviews.

These comments are in no way intended to downplay the value of the
SIGGRAPH Video Reviews.  I just wanted to explain some of the background
so that people understand why they cannot simply buy a copy of the Film
& Video Shows.
					- Doris Kochanek