[net.graphics] graph-drawing program wanted

hand@ece-csc.UUCP (Steven Hand) (10/31/86)

I'm looking for software that draws graphs, that is, those figures with
nodes and arcs.  Anything that displays graphs, like flow chart generators
or project management tools (eg. MacProject) would be VERY helpful.
Also, I would appreciate any references to graph-drawing algorithms.

I want to display data flow graphs created while compiling for multiprocessor
computers.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Hand	         decvax!mcnc!ece-csc!hand
Box 7911
NC State Univ.           (919) 737-2336 ext. 34
Raleigh, NC 27695        (919) 834-4375

gillam@aero.ARPA (April Gillam) (11/03/86)

In article <3118@ece-csc.UUCP> hand@ece-csc.UUCP (Steven Hand) writes:
>I'm looking for software that draws graphs, that is, those figures with
>nodes and arcs.  Anything that displays graphs, like flow chart generators
>or project management tools (eg. MacProject) would be VERY helpful.
>Also, I would appreciate any references to graph-drawing algorithms.
>
>I want to display data flow graphs created while compiling for multiprocessor
>computers.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Steve Hand	         decvax!mcnc!ece-csc!hand
>Box 7911
>NC State Univ.           (919) 737-2336 ext. 34
>Raleigh, NC 27695        (919) 834-4375

There are two excellent papers giving guidelines to drawing trees:

Tidy Drawing of Trees by C. Wetherell & A. Shannon in Vol. SE-5 #5 Sept 79
	pp 514-520
Tidier Drawing of Tress by E. Reingold & J. Tilford in Vol. SE-7 #2 Mar 81
	pp 223-228

Tho the papers are on binary trees, it isn't difficult to expand to multi-
branched trees. I've written a tree algorithm which allows the user to label
the nodes & the arcs between them, plus it automatically positions the nodes.
It is for the Apollo DN300 workstation, so the graphics are not portable.
The algorithm to tidy up the trees which does the positioning is in C.
If there is interest in it, I can post it to net.sources.

		April Gillam
		Aerospace Corp.