Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Thu, 5-May-83 06:05:10 EDT

From:  John Robinson <jr@bbncd>

The BBN Pen editor uses a visible mark, which I have sometimes missed
in EMACS.  Many times this is enough for what you describe.
Highlighting a whole region might be costly if the terminal requires
sending the entire region again (most do I suspect); it is probably
more appropriate for workstations where there is higher bandwidth
between the editor and the display.

Since I mentioned Pen, I'll mention another useful feature it has -
region-shape options.  That is, aside from "text" shaped regions (like
what EMACS uses), regions can be "line" shaped (includes all of the
lines including point and mark) or "box" shaped (this is the clever one
- all the rectangle defined by point and mark).  Box regions turn out
to be very useful for making figures out of text.

/jr
jr @ bbn-unix (arpanet)