[net.emacs] UniPress' Ads

hansen (05/11/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site alice.UUCP
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 15:57:52 EDT

This is the info I got from UniPress regarding Gosling's Emacs. I just
thought you'd like to see what they have in mind. (This is being copied
verbatim.)

					Tony Hansen
					pegasus!hansen

						UniPress Software, Inc.
						1164 Raritan Avenue
						Highland Park, JF 08904
						201-985-8000

						May 6, 1983

You recently contacted us regarding Emacs.

We are pleased to announce that UniPress Software, Inc. is now publishing
the Emacs written by James Gosling. We enclose literature about our Emacs
and the rest of our product line.

Our pricing policy for Emacs is:

Source code:	$995	(VAX available in source only.)
Binary:		 395	(MC68000 -- call for specific availability.)

UniPress is a publishing house for UNIX-based software. At this time, our
offerings are in the nature of development of tools, but as time progresses
we plan to carry a fuller line of tools and applications.

Several items of interest:

1. A new manual, as well as a newer version of Emacs, will be available
   later this year.

2. We will be acting as a clearing house for changes, improvements, and bug
   fixes. Please send us your changes, since we intend to offer periodic new
   releases with improvements of general interest.

3. We will be publishing an Emacs newsletter about twice a year to our Emacs
   customers. We will be happy to publish your articles and code after review
   by our staff.

4. Since 'mpxio' is no longer supported for inter-window communication, we
   will soon re-enable that facility by using 'sockets' for 4.1C (4.2) and
   'named pipes' for UNIX 3.0. If you've done this already let us know.

5. We will put Emacs on several of the 68000 UNIX systems, and will keep you
   informed of the progress. Tell us if you have done a 68000 'port' so we
   can let everyone else know.

Thank you,

UniPress Software, Inc.

					UniPress Software, Inc.
					1164 Raritan Avenue
					Highland Park, JF 08904
					201-985-8000

Presents

				EMACS
		     THE EXTENSIBLE SCREEN EDITOR

FEATURES:

o  Full screen text editor with extensive cursor navigation and powerful
   text manipulation.

o  Multiple windows on the screen are user definable, permitting
   o  several files can be edited simultaneously.
   o  different portions of the same file can be edited simultaneously.
   o  any shell program can be executed from within EMACS.

o  Help facility is builtin by command name and subject area.

o  Great extensibility:
   o  any key or sequence can be user re-defined.
   o  user-definable macros, from the keyboard or by name.
   o  MLISP programming language is builtin, allowing the user to program
      as much into EMACS as desired.

o  Search and replace:
   o  regular expression searching.
   o  incremental searching on portions of strings.

o  Programming aids:
   o  vi compatibility.
   o  checks for balanced parentheses and braces.
   o  automatically indents and reformats code as needed.
   o  file and directory maintenance.
   o  integrates program compilation, error file and source file maintenance
      to aid in debugging.

o  Text justification, autofill and spell checking.

o  Electronic mail system.
o  Backs up previous versions of files and performs periodic checkpoints.