[net.emacs] wrap-long-lines meets next-page

kupfer@ucbvax.ARPA (Mike Kupfer) (02/03/85)

We're running (a somewhat hacked, I think) Gosmacs #85 here, and I've
noticed the following problem: suppose you have wrap-long-lines set ON
and n lines actually wrap around.  This means that your window is
showing n fewer real lines of text than would happen if wrap-long-lines
were OFF.  Now if you do a next-page, emacs doesn't account for this
fact (that there are n fewer lines in the window) and moves forward n
too many lines.  If enough lines in a window wrap around, you can
actually skip right over text in the buffer, without ever seeing it,
just by using next-page.  (BTW, I get a similar problem by using
end-of-window in a window with lines that wrap around.)

So, has anyone else seen this?  Is it peculiar to #85, is it peculiar
to what we're running at Berkeley, does anyone have a fix for it?

Thanks.
--
Mike Kupfer
kupfer@Berkeley

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (02/05/85)

In article <4563@ucbvax.ARPA> kupfer@ucbvax.ARPA (Mike Kupfer) writes:
>We're running (a somewhat hacked, I think) Gosmacs #85 here, and I've
>noticed the following problem: suppose you have wrap-long-lines set ON
>and n lines actually wrap around.  This means that your window is
>showing n fewer real lines of text than would happen if wrap-long-lines
>were OFF.  Now if you do a next-page, emacs doesn't account for this
>fact (that there are n fewer lines in the window) and moves forward n
>too many lines.

This is a "feature" of Gosling Emacs.  It is too lazy to determine which
lines are wrapped when doing the next-page function, so just moves
forward some number of lines and forces that line to the top of the
screen.

--
=Spencer
	({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

This one is particularly tricky to fix.  Here's why: Emacs supports
arbitrarily long lines.  What do you do if the line doesn't even fit
on one screen?

Emacs already mishandles this case, so fixing ^V in such a way that
these lines still don't "do the right thing" might not be so bad.

Anyway, the problem is present in later releases of Gosling Emacs
as well, so you're not alone....
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland