[net.emacs] Real META keys

lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) (02/08/85)

I have been having troubles with CCA-Emacs when I use Kermit.
Although the H19 termcap entry does a fine job, I have an
Alt key that sets the eighth bit for each char ( after I rebind
everything locally ). My problem is that the H19 description somehow
disables EMACS recognition of true Meta chars. If I invoke ann-arbor
amassador as my terminal type, eigth bits are recognized both from
an actual ambassador OR from the PC running Kermit. AAAREADME and
DOC give no clues as to why EMACS is ignoring the eigth bit for certain
terminal types. The same bad behavior is exhibited if I tell EMACS
I am a VT52 or a VT100. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jerry Lotto	inhp4!harvard!lotto

mab@ttidcb.UUCP (Michael A. Bloom) (02/10/85)

In article <274@talcott.UUCP> lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) writes:

>Although the H19 termcap entry does a fine job, I have an
>Alt key that sets the eighth bit for each char ( after I rebind
>everything locally ). My problem is that the H19 description somehow
>disables EMACS recognition of true Meta chars.

You need to set the km flag in the termcap or terminfo entry.  You
should also be using terminfo rather than termcap, as it is much more
efficient to do so.  If you are not, ask your system manager to rebuild
emacs with TERMINFO defined.  There is really no excuse for his not
doing so, as the terminfo source comes with CCA emacs.

Make sure that if you install a changed version of the h19 entry, that
it has a different name, say "h19-meta", otherwise you may have an
unpleasant reaction from some other h19 users.

Be sure to read the termcap and terminfo entries in section 5 of
man.  If terminfo has not been installed there, you can find a copy
by cd'ing to wherever you have the cca emacs source, and looking
in the terminfo/man subdirectory.

--

--    Michael Bloom 	---  {philabs,trwrb,cadovax,randvax}!ttidca!mab

bruce@godot.UUCP (Bruce Nemnich) (02/11/85)

CCA emacs treats the eighth bit as a meta bit iff the "km" flag is set
in the termcap/terminfo entry.  Otherwise it just strips the bit
assuming it was a parity bit.  I use the following for my PC with
kermit:

Termcap:
km|kermit|mskermit|MSDOS Kermit H19 emulator with meta key:\
	:km:tc=h19:

Terminfo:
mskermit|kermit|MSDOS Kermit H19 emulator with meta key,
	km, use=h19,
--
--Bruce Nemnich, Thinking Machines Corporation, Cambridge, MA
  ihnp4!godot!bruce, bjn@mit-mc.arpa ... soon to be bruce@tm.arpa