[net.emacs] emacs with 66 lines ?

grayson@uiucuxc.UUCP (02/10/85)

I would like some remarks about using Gosling emacs with a 66 line terminal.
I'm assuming it would be lots of fun, but perhaps someone out there has tried
it already...

	uucp:	{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!grayson
		Dan Grayson, Math Dept, Univ of Ill, Urbana 61801

stewart@houxf.UUCP (Bill Stewart HO 4K-435 x0705) (02/13/85)

>> Has anyone used gmacs on a 66 line terminal?

Hey, it's nice.  I have a Teletype 5620 terminal, which is a bitmapped
intelligent graphics terminal.  In dumb-terminal mode, it provides a
70x88 screen; I tend to use emacs in a window about 48x80.  Any
screen editor is nice on a big screen, but the real win is multiple
windows - you can be in two-or-three window mode and all your
windows will be big enough to do real work in.
			Bill Stewart @ AT&T Bell Labs
--
Bill Stewart	ho95c!wcs AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ
HO 4K-435 x0705   (201-949-0705)

steven@boring.UUCP (02/14/85)

I use emacs with a 62 line terminal, and it works just like emacs, only with
a bigger screen :-). No difference in other words.

dan@rna.UUCP (02/14/85)

	Well I use EMACS as well as JOVE with a 64-line CIT-500. It is
"fun". Multi-windowing is much more reasonable with 64-lines.
	I have a TERMCAP as well as a Gosling driver for the CIT500, if
you're interested.
	More substantially, I have a new font for the CIT500, which I
(and others including people at C.Itoh) believe makes a *great* difference,
enhancing the readability and appearance of the CIT500 text.
	I have the font in both download format (along with tools to
create your own font) and can also burn font PROMS for the CIT500.

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					Dept. Neurobiology
					Rockefeller Univ.
					1230 York Ave.
					NY, NY 10021
					212-570-7671
					...cmcl2!rna!dan

sten@enea.UUCP (Sten Folkerman) (02/15/85)

[]

Since a while ago I have a terminal with 72 lines (Facit Twist). It sure is
great for emacs! However, it appear to me that the screen refresh algorithm
does not consider the redrawing cost enough. For instance: scrolling 6 lines
makes the screen to be redrawn.

What was *really* funny was when someone brought in a SuperScreen for
a demo, and had it set up to 76 lines or so, and Emacs worked, but VI
didn't 'cause it stopped at about 70 lines!
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

hans@log-hb.UUCP (Hans Albertsson) (02/15/85)

I'm using Gosmacs #85, hacked for 4.2, with filename completion added,
on a 72 line terminal.
This required changing a constant, MScreenLength in display.c, I think,
to >72, I went to 80, while at it.

It works ok, but you really want 19200 for your nerves.
--
Hans Albertsson, USENET/uucp: {decvax,philabs}!mcvax!enea!log-hb!hans
Real World:  TeleLOGIC AB, Box 1001, S-14901 Nynashamn,SWEDEN

augustss@chalmers.UUCP (Lennart Augustsson) (02/16/85)

[]
   Using emacs with a 66 line terminal works just great (I assume, we really
use 72 line terminals (Facit Twist)).  The old version of emacs (#85 ?) wasn't
so great, it produced a core dump when given a terminal with more than 66
lines.

--
Any resemblance of the opinions above to real opinions, living or dead,
is purely coincidential.

robert@erix.UUCP (Robert Virding) (02/18/85)

Unfortunately the display code of Emacs isn't quite as smart as it claims to
be and it is rather slow. You notice this more when you have a big screen.
The problem is that the display sections don't really know how the changes
in the screen have been made and have to work it out for themselves.

			Robert Virding  @ L M Ericsson, Stockholm
			UUCP: {decvax,philabs,seismo}!mcvax!enea!erix!robert

hans@log-hb.UUCP (Hans Albertsson) (02/19/85)

In article <752@erix.UUCP> robert@erix.UUCP (Robert Virding) writes:

>Unfortunately the display code of Emacs isn't quite as smart as it claims to
>be and it is rather slow. You notice this more when you have a big screen.
>The problem is that the display sections don't really know how the changes
>in the screen have been made and have to work it out for themselves.
>
>			Robert Virding  @ L M Ericsson, Stockholm
>			UUCP: {decvax,philabs,seismo}!mcvax!enea!erix!robert

Yep. Sure isn't the worlds best piece of code, no.

But, friends, do keep an eye or two open, watching THIS space closely,
for a soon-to-come preliminary announcement of an alternative...

Say a few weeks, eh, Robert????

So this is a pre-pre-preliminary announcement. Next thing will be the
post-pre-pre-preliminary, which is the pre-preliminary one. And then there
will be the post-post-pre-pre ............