[net.emacs] Gnuemacs on a SUN: Need assistance

baron@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/11/85)

If anyone has been able to get gnuemacs up on a Sun, I'd
be very interested in knowing how it was accomplished.

I'm using Sun Unix Release 1.3 on a Sun 2 Model 170.

I've succeeded in getting as far as the ``temacs''
executable, but any attempt to execute it results
in a system crash <bus error>.

ARPANET: baron@ucla-cs.ARPA
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucla-cs!baron

wunder@wdl1.UUCP (04/16/85)

It is true that GNU Emacs version 13.12 will cause a system
crash on Sun 1.3.  I have reported this to Sun, and given them
a tape of the whole mess.  Meanwhile, we are playing with
version 15.whatever.  So far, it will come up as temacs, but
not as xemacs.  Sigh.

Question:  Is the .elc format defined as a byte-stream, or is it
machine-dependent?  We had to remake the .elc's to get the thing
up.

wunder

PS:  I also reported the business with the register declarations
in regex.c.

mly@mit-eddie.UUCP (Richard Mlynarik) (04/18/85)

BTW for general information purposes, I quote from the gnu emacs
distribution notice (etc/DISTRIB)
	"If you are on the Internet, report bugs to bug-gnu-emacs@mit-prep.
	 On Usenet, use the address ...!ucbvax!bug-gnu-emacs%mit-prep."
I don't read usenet very often, and rms never does, so sending mail to one
of the above addresses is the fastest way to bring deficiencies/bugs to
somebody's attention.

   From: wunder@wdl1.UUCP
   Date: Mon, 15-Apr-85 21:22:27 EST

   It is true that GNU Emacs version 13.12 will cause a system
   crash on Sun 1.3.  I have reported this to Sun, and given them
   a tape of the whole mess.  Meanwhile, we are playing with
   version 15.whatever.  So far, it will come up as temacs, but
   not as xemacs.  Sigh.
This is strange. Emacs 15 has been coming up fine on suns as far as I know.
Editing src/config.h to #include "m-sun.h" SHOULD be all that is necessary.
Has anybody else had problems with emacs 15 on suns?

   Question:  Is the .elc format defined as a byte-stream, or is it
   machine-dependent?  We had to remake the .elc's to get the thing
   up.
It's just a byte-stream --- see the files
src/bytecode.c and lisp/bytecomp.el (You've got the source, use it!!)
Sounds like whatever mechanism you used to transport your emacs distribution
was not really transparent --- non-printing characters seem to be the first
which get trashed in such circumstances, and .elc files are full of them.