[net.emacs] More on GNU emacs from Sjuvax

bbanerje@sjuvax.UUCP (B. Banerjee) (05/07/85)

Hi,

Sorry for those of you who had problems transferring GNU emacs
from sjuvax.  The situation has changed somewhat due to a site
that broke connection after transferring 700K of the approx. 900K
distribution.  Anyhow, I have made a couple of changes to the
distribution, breaking it up into a number of pieces.  Everything
is up currently up and ready.

Please note a couple of things.  I received a message from RMS
today.  He made a couple of points.

a) The version that I have (The one available for distribution) is
version 13.8.15.  Version 15 of GNU emacs will be available shortly.
You may wish to get that from RMS or encore!wegryzn instead.

b) Some people may not wish to go through the trouble of regenerating
the .elc files.  For them, I am also making the tar files available.
Note that these have also been compressed via 'compress 3.0'.  These
have been broken up into 3 files that match 'GNUtar?.Z'.  These should
also be untarred (in any particular order) in the destination
directory.  These are the complete distribution as I received them from
encore (The shar files don't include the distribution of 'dbx' that was
included with the emacs distribution).  Note that these are
significantly larger.  You may wish to save yourself some $$$ and glom
the shar files instead.

What follows is long listing of the files in the directory.  You
should probably fire up a separate uucp for each one you want, as
then the files that were transferred will not be re-transmitted should
the connection break mid-way through.

-rw-r--r--  1 bbanerje    62287 May  5 11:00 compress.shar

-rw-r--r--  1 bbanerje    20373 May  4 02:05 GNUshar1.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 bbanerje   125597 May  4 02:09 GNUshar2.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 bbanerje   155335 May  4 02:10 GNUshar3.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 bbanerje   151226 May  4 02:12 GNUshar4.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 bbanerje   116831 May  4 02:20 GNUshar5.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 bbanerje   113595 May  4 02:21 GNUshar6.Z

-rw-r--r--  1 bbanerje   278385 May  6 23:04 GNUtar1.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 bbanerje   273367 May  6 23:05 GNUtar2.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 bbanerje   381805 May  6 23:07 GNUtar3.Z

I am including the text of my original message for those who missed
it the first time round.  The connection info remains valid.

Regards,

	Binayak
From postnews Wed May  1 21:38:27 1985
Subject: Another Distribution site for Gnu Emacs
Newsgroups: net.emacs,net.wanted.sources

Hi,

If anyone still wants Gnu Emacs, and hasn't gotten it from Encore
as yet, I am willing to allow uucp transfers during non-peak hours
(Between 12.00 and 8:00 am EDT).

This is for such sites that find it easier to call Philadelphia than
Boston.  The uucp dialin will be active for a minimum of a week.
It shall be disabled when a week has gone by without anyone dialing in
on the number, so if you want it you should hurry.

The file will be in sjuvax!~/GNUshar.Z .
The file is compressed using the latest(?) version (Compress 3.0) of
compress.  If you don't have this, you should first pull over the file
sjuvax!~/compress.shar.

This distribution is slightly smaller than that which I pulled over
from encore.  Basically, I zapped the *.elc (compiled lisp) files as
compress munged them anyhow.  For what its worth, there is another
README file which describes how to recreate these from the *.el (lisp
source) files (which you will have to do).

BTW, does anyone know if RMS has written a manual for GNU emacs?
It's rather slow reading the code in order to find out more about
this fascinating editor.

Now for the dialin information that you need.

Phone no. (215) 879-7550
1200 bps (Between 12.00 AM and 8.00 AM EDT)
username: gnutemp
password: gnudist

Have fun,

	Binayak
--
				Binayak Banerjee
		{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!bbanerje