[net.emacs] Problems with FTP

montanaro@crdmail_at_iagvax@csbvax.decnet (08/19/85)

From: CSBVAX::MRGATE!MONTANARO@CRDMAIL_at_IAGVAX <mrgate!montanaro@crdmail_at_iagvax@csbvax.decnet>

Date: 19-AUG-1985 07:47
From: Skip Montanaro
Sender: MONTANARO
Subject: Problems with FTP
To: mailer!<info-gnu-emacs@mit-prep>@crdmail@csbvax,
To: mailer!<ftp-bugs@mit-prep>@crdmail@csbvax, connolly
--------

I tried for a good part of the weekend to transfer GNU emacs from mit-prep
to ge-crd. I ran into a couple problems. I have been able to get around
one, but not the other. Perhaps someone can help me.

1. mit-prep:/u2/emacs/edist.tar is about 4 megabytes. I tried to copy it
several times, but was never able to get it cleanly. I admit that it may
not have been an artifact of the ftp between the two sites, but problems
that arose after I got it to ge-crd and tried getting it to its eventual
home.

At any rate, I was eventually able to copy it a file at a time from
mit-prep:/u2/emacs/dist/*. This is still in progress, but I suspect it will
go much better.

2. A more annoying problem is that I can't seem to transfer any files which
contain upper case letters (such as /u2/emacs/README, which I was
admonished to read). Several files in GNU Emacs have upper case letters in
them (most notably a couple of Makefiles and several README's). Our system
manager here was able to successfully transfer upper case only files
between our VAX (ge-crd) and connected SUNs. Can someone offer a solution?
How about a fix (README --> _readme | Makefile --> _makefile) so I can just
get the last few important files over?

Any help is much appreciated.

Skip Montanaro
Montanaro@ge-crd

--------
------

larry@JPL-VLSI.ARPA (08/20/85)

From: larry@JPL-VLSI.ARPA
Don't know if this helps, because I'm on a VAX running under VMS, but I got
around the lower-case/upper-case problems two ways.  (1)  I used get for the
upper-case filenames rather than mget (get README. readme.) and (2) our version of FTP prepends a $ to the first of each series of upper-case letters whihc I
later renamed.
					Larry @ jpl-vlsi