[net.emacs] Question about GNU Emacs rmail

phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Praveen Kumar) (09/21/85)

When I try to execute rmail by typing ``M-x rmail'', the cursor goes
back to the beginning of the mini-buffer and just stays there and
everything seems dead.  As soon as I type ``C-g'', It says something
like ``Counting messages...'' then it tells me that there isn't any
mail and displays the ``If you are seeing this in the Rmail buffer...''
message.

Also, if I execute rmail-get-new-mail in rmail (by typing ``M-x rmail
RET M-x rmail-get-new-mail RET''), it seems to hang again.  I mean
nothing happens; the cursor does a carriage return in the mini-buffer
and just stays there.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Does anyone
have any idea why this is happening?  I looked at the rmail code but
couldn't figure out what was going on.  By the way in my .emacs file I
setq rmail-file-name to ~/.mbox.

Any suggestions/helpful hints etc. will be appreciated.

Thanks,
praveen
--

			Praveen Kumar

Don't bother me! I'm on an emergency third rail power trip.

phaedrus@eneevax.arpa or {seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!eneevax!phaedrus

vijay@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (P. Vijay) (09/23/85)

> When I try to execute rmail by typing ``M-x rmail'', the cursor goes
> back to the beginning of the mini-buffer and just stays there and
> everything seems dead.  As soon as I type ``C-g'', It says something
>
> Any suggestions/helpful hints etc. will be appreciated.

	GNU Emacs RMail'er uses a program called 'movemail'.
'movemail' is the one that locks your spool directory mail box
(/usr/spool/mail/phaedrus), and moves all the mail you received since
the last time you read it. Thus, 'movemail' must be setgid'ed to the
group 'mail', (the group that /usr/spool/mail belongs to). While you
are at it, you might also check whether 'loadst' is setgid'ed to the
group that /dev/kmem belongs to.

You'll probably find 'movemail' in the directory /usr/local/gnuemacs/etc.
Actually, it is one of the directories in the list stored in the Emacs
variable "exec-path", or the directory that is the value of the Emacs
variable "exec-directory".

	Hope this helps..

						--Vijay--

sidney@faron.UUCP (Sidney Markowitz) (09/26/85)

In article <3746@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> vijay@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (P. Vijay) writes:

>> When I try to execute rmail by typing ``M-x rmail'', the cursor goes
>> back to the beginning of the mini-buffer and just stays there and
>> everything seems dead.  As soon as I type ``C-g'', It says something
   [ ... ]

>the last time you read it. Thus, 'movemail' must be setgid'ed to the
>group 'mail', (the group that /usr/spool/mail belongs to). While you

There is a bug in movemail.c that causes it to hang up when it does
not have write access to the mail spool directory (/usr/spool/mail),
rather than produce an error message. That's why everything goes dead,
but fixing that still won't let you read your mail.

Our installation write protects /usr/spool/mail, does not put it in
group "mail", and apparently the powers that be do not want to change
that situation. What we have done is to make /usr/spool/mail/$USER a
directory owned by $USER, and so the mail spool file is
/usr/spool/mail/$USER/$USER. The mailer programs already check for
that situation (at least in 4.2 BSD). I submitted the rmail.el fixes
to handle that to bug-gnu-emacs quite a while ago, but since I
installed them here myself I didn't check whether they were
incorporated into the distribution files. So if your system
administrator does not want to use setguid to give movemail write
access to /usr/spool/mail, than have her/him change your mail spool
file to /usr/spool/mail/$USER/$USER.

--
					Sidney Markowitz

ARPA:	sidney@mitre-bedford
UUCP:	...{allegra,decvax,genrad,ihnp4,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sidney

The proper way to fix the mail system---and this has already been
implemented in 4.3BSD---is to use flock() on /usr/spool/mail/$USER
files, and teach /bin/mail and all the user interface programs to
obey this new locking protocol.

Using this scheme, /usr/spool/mail need not be writable, which
avoids quite a number of security hassles.  Also, it is much more
efficient than linking files to $USER.lock.  If all readers use
shared locks, and all writers use exclusive locks, your mailbox
remains consistent.

Just this afternoon I helped Don Hopkins fix up Gnumacs' movemail
program.  The new version should be in your net.sources.  Compile
with `-DUSE_FLOCK', or `-UUSE_FLOCK' for the old behaviour, or edit
the #define line.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (10/01/85)

I just switched from UniPress Emacs #264 to GNU. Everything looks good,
save that I have ~100 mail messages tucked away in my Messages directory,
left over from UniPress's rmail. Is there any way to convert them to GNU
or, better yet, is there another version of rmail for GNU that can read
this format? Thanks, in advance.

--
David C. Kovar
	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber

"I felt like a punk who'd gone out for a switchblade and come back
 with a tactical nuke.

 'Shit', I thought. 'Screwed again. What good's a tactical nuke in a
  street fight?'"
			"Burning Chrome" by William Gibson

davidson@sdcsvax.UUCP (Greg Davidson) (10/03/85)

You can cat the message files in ~/Messages (make sure you don't include
the summary file) onto your spool file.  The next time you read mail: Voila!

I prefer to use mh, so when I switched, I cat'ed them onto a file which I
then included with an ``inc -ms *filename*''.

BTW, is anyone working on improving emacs' mh interface?  It can't even
burst!

_Greg Davidson			Virtual Infinity Systems, San Diego