[net.emacs] Help!

syn@uo-vax1.UUCP (syn) (11/16/84)

No doubt this is a dubm question for you high-tech types, but I am going
to lose my sanity shortly if I can't locate some documentation on emacs.
I don't know what defaults are in the system.  I don't know if emacs and
UNIX can do mail-merge so I can send out form letters?  I miss my word-
processor!!!!  I have forty experts around me who each know something,
and often lots, about emacs, but none of them actually use it for word
processing.  Any help or guidance would be vastly appreciated!  Syn

ee178acb@sdcc7.UUCP (DARIN JOHNSON) (10/07/85)

I have no EMACS documents, but I have access to a GNU-EMACS.
Without sending gobs of literature, what are the basic commands,
including a 'help' command.  If I have the 'help' I can get by since
I have used EMACS a long time ago and can recall most of it with a
little prod.

Darin Johnson
sdcsvax!wbreader

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Siegal) (10/15/85)

In article <114@sdcc7.UUCP> ee178acb@sdcc7.UUCP (DARIN JOHNSON) writes:
>I have no EMACS documents, but I have access to a GNU-EMACS.
>Without sending gobs of literature, what are the basic commands,
>including a 'help' command.  If I have the 'help' I can get by since
>I have used EMACS a long time ago and can recall most of it with a
>little prod.
>

>Darin Johnson
>sdcsvax!wbreader

Conventions:  C- = Control key
              M- = Meta key or <ESC> prefix

C-h = Help Prefix character
C-h C-h = Help menu
C-x C-f = Find file
C-x C-z = Suspend EMACS
C-x C-c = Exit Emacs
C-x C-s = Save File
C-x C-w = Write File
C-x C-d = Dired (Note that C-x C-f on any directory is equiv)
-------
C-f = Forward Char
C-b = Back Char
C-n = Forward Line
C-p = Back Line
M-f = Forward Word
M-b = Back Word

M-x = Extended Commands

Command and Filename Completion:  <SPACE> will complete the current word
of a command, ? displays possible completions, <ESC> (C-[) or <TAB>
(C-i) will complete the command or filename as far as possible.

(Printed) documentation is available (I believe) from RMS.

Jeff Siegal