[net.emacs] GNUemacs sources availability query

jra@jc3b21.UUCP (Jay R. Ashworth) (12/04/85)

I would like to find a set of sources for GNUemacs.  I would be
running the beast on one of the following:
	1) AT&T 3B2, 2MB x 32MB,
	2) Tandy 6000, 1MB x 15MB, or
	3) Tandy 16, 768K (Please, don't laugh) x 15MB.
If anybody knows where I can get up-to-date sources in a reasonable fashion,
please reply via e-mail to (rest-of-the-world) !houxm!vax135!petsd!peora!ucf-cs!
			!usfvax2!3b2bame!jc3b21!jra, or such other path as you
may have up your sleeve. I understand that version 17 is out or coming soon,
any comments on that?  Finally, Large Hurrah to rms@mit-prep for his Really
Good Work.  I can't wait til he gets the rest of GNU done, I want it on an
Amiga. (You're laughing again.)  Any help will be appreciated, I will teach
my camel your name, so he does not spit on your boots.  Tnx,
-- jra, KA1FJX
--
Jay R. Ashworth    	Proma Software   	jra@jc3b22.UUCP
Programmer/Analyst	9189 Park Blvd.		(813) 399-1045

morgan@fluke.UUCP (Bruce Eckel) (12/06/85)

In article <124@jc3b21.UUCP> jra@jc3b21.UUCP (Jay R. Ashworth) writes:
>I would like to find a set of sources for GNUemacs.  I would be
>running the beast on one of the following:
>	1) AT&T 3B2, 2MB x 32MB,
>	2) Tandy 6000, 1MB x 15MB, or
>	3) Tandy 16, 768K (Please, don't laugh) x 15MB.
>If anybody knows where I can get up-to-date sources in a reasonable fashion,
>please reply via e-mail to (rest-of-the-world) !houxm!vax135!petsd!peora!ucf-cs!
>			!usfvax2!3b2bame!jc3b21!jra, or such other path as you
>may have up your sleeve. I understand that version 17 is out or coming soon,
>any comments on that?  Finally, Large Hurrah to rms@mit-prep for his Really
>Good Work.  I can't wait til he gets the rest of GNU done, I want it on an
>Amiga. (You're laughing again.)  Any help will be appreciated, I will teach
>my camel your name, so he does not spit on your boots.  Tnx,
>-- jra, KA1FJX
>--
>Jay R. Ashworth    	Proma Software   	jra@jc3b22.UUCP

I second the kudos for Richard Stallman.  I find gnuemacs a completely
amazing program, not only for what it does, but also for what it
teaches me.  I find that for learning, this is one of the best
packages I have ever seen (editing AND programming in LISP).

I sometimes have a hard time, though, explaining to people why I use
gnuemacs over gosling's (the latter is supported in our company, while
the former is a grassroots movement).  My answer is usually something
like: "with Gosling, you stumble over the patches.  You can sort of
feel where a feature has been added/hacked on.  Gnuemacs was built
from the ground up, first building the lisp, then building the editor
on top of the lisp.  It is 'seamless'."  This "seamlessness" (like
most Really Important things in life) is subtle, but it is definitely
important. I also like the philosophy of public domain editor (which I
can use even if I work for another company -- I don't have to convince
management to buy anything).

Lastly, *I* would not laugh at all if you find gnuemacs for micros.
My dream is (currently) an Amiga with a 68020, 8 Mb of RAM and, say, a
40 Mb disk, running GNU or 4.2BSD or something equivalent, sitting on
my desk at home, running Gnuemacs.  I hope to have something like this
in the next 5 years.  Commuting,  finally, would become passe.

	Bruce Eckel
	uw-beaver!fluke!morgan

pajb@ulysses.UUCP (Paul Bennett) (12/09/85)

>From: morgan@fluke.UUCP (Bruce Eckel)
>Newsgroups: net.emacs,net.wanted
>Date: 6 Dec 85 19:17:55 GMT
>In article <124@jc3b21.UUCP> jra@jc3b21.UUCP (Jay R. Ashworth) writes:
>>I would like to find a set of sources for GNUemacs.  I would be
>I second the kudos for Richard Stallman.  I find gnuemacs a completely
>amazing program, not only for what it does, but also for what it
>teaches me.  I find that for learning, this is one of the best
>packages I have ever seen (editing AND programming in LISP).

At the risk of turning net.emacs into the rms@mit-prep fab club, I too
would like to add my applause for the man himself. Not only for GNU
Emacs, which is great, has made my life immesurably simpler (I've
virtually stopped using a bare shell) and is definitely How Things
Should Be Done, but also for GNU in general, the idea and the
commitment shown by rms and others in making it work. A truly social
commitment, aimed at improving the world, not at increasing ones's
personal power over it. Right on ....

>My dream is (currently) an Amiga with a 68020, 8 Mb of RAM and, say, a
>40 Mb disk, running GNU or 4.2BSD or something equivalent, sitting on
>my desk at home, running Gnuemacs.  I hope to have something like this
>in the next 5 years.  Commuting,  finally, would become passe.

Yes, me to Bruce .. sigh.
 --
Paul.

UUCP:	{decvax,allegra,vax135,ucbvax}!ulysses!circe!pajb
DDD:	(201) 582 7346
USPS:	AT&T Bell Labs, Room 5E-103, Murray Hill, NJ 07974

.. I don't care WHO you are, you're not walking on the water while I'M fishing.