[net.emacs] hoarding thwarted by technicality?

rms@prep.ai.mit.edu (12/21/85)

From: rms@prep.ai.mit.edu (Richard M. Stallman)
    How would you like it if someone took something that you had
    worked on very hard and was planning to make a living from,
    and declared that through some technicality, everyone could
    have it and no one had to pay you for it?

If someone was making plans like that, he was already planning to do
something wrong: software hoarding.  If he was stopped, by a
technicality or by other means, that's great.  We can rejoice because
the public has been saved from being victims of hoarding.

Software hoarders complain when thwarted, but we should not give them
our sympathy.  Mafiosi, welfare cheaters and make-work bureaucrats
also complain if their funds are cut off, but we don't sympathize with
them, because that's what they deserve.

If a person you care about is a software hoarder and you want
to have good wishes for the person, the right way to do it
is to hope the person comes to understand the wrongness of
hoarding, and stops making plans to base his livelihood on
hoarding.  Success in ill-gotten gains is not really a good wish.

mjc@cad.cs.cmu.edu (Monica Cellio) (12/23/85)

To RMS:

If I write a book, I have the right to distribute it and reap the profits
(royalties).  If I write a program, why don't I have the right to distribute
it and reap the profits?

In both cases, I can also limit the distribution.  I can say that if you
don't pay, you don't benefit.  (There are no laws saying free public
libraries must exist.)  It seems to me that you have to either abolish the
rights of *all* producers to benefit from what they produce, or you have to
give up this "making a living from programming is evil" attitude.  I don't
see how you can have both.

							-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...seismo!rochester!cmu-cs-pt!cmu-cs-cad!mjc  or if that doesn't work:
      ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon

mzal@pegasus.UUCP (Mike Zaleski) (12/23/85)

[...]