[net.emacs] monty's emacs..

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (12/16/85)

If what RMS is saying is true about the earlier dist. of Montgomery's
emacs is true, could someone find out the legalities involved, and
post the sources for it to the net ?? To my knowledge, once something
is PD, it is PD !! Later versions may not be so, but the earlier ones
without copyright notices etc. (especially without AT&T's "it is ours,
we wrote it, you cannot even breathe a line out of the sources or we'll
sue your pants off.. there !!!" type notice :-)) would definately be
in the PD. Sure, jove is a nice alternative, but it contains ED reg. expr.
stuff, and some temp.io. portions of VI. Also, it is not terribly
expandable.

Why is it that in light of the existence of GNU emacs, and number of
other poverful emacses, even an earlier version of monty's emacs cause
so much contraversy ?? Why is it that some companies are so afraid of
letting anything go into PD ?? Check out the recent getopt sources..
now a 20-line program, originally distributed in printout form in a
symposium, bears a copyright notice as large as the sources themselves.
I guess this is what "comic relief" means.

sigh !!

Oz
--
Usenet: [decvax|allegra|linus|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti]

pooh@unirot.UUCP (Pooh) (12/19/85)

Think about it a minute.  If you put a product into the public
domain, that means no one has to pay for that product.  If it
happens to be your product, you don't make any money from it.

How would you like it if someone took something that you had
worked on very hard and was planning to make a living from,
and declared that through some technicality, everyone could
have it and no one had to pay you for it?

You don't have to buy a product if you don't like its price.
But you certainly have no right to take away someone's livelihood.

If you feel differently about this, then I suggest you go to your
employer and tell him that he no longer has to pay you wages for
the code you write for him.

Pooh            topaz!unirot!pooh
                topaz!unipress!pooh

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (12/22/85)

In article <252@unirot.UUCP> pooh@unirot.UUCP (Pooh) writes:

>Think about it a minute.  If you put a product into the public
>domain, that means no one has to pay for that product.  If it
>happens to be your product, you don't make any money from it.

	So what ??? If I have 10 products, and 2 of them are
	released to PD, because I may think that it is good PR,
	or maybe I care more about what other people get than
	just making money, where is the great loss ???

>How would you like it if someone took something that you had
>worked on very hard and was planning to make a living from,
>and declared that through some technicality, everyone could
>have it and no one had to pay you for it?

	To my knowledge, Warren Montgomery never intended to make
	money out of his emacs. And nobody has taken anything from
	him, nor anybody will. As he clerified in a previous posting,
	his emacs is NOT PD, nor will it ever be, unless AT&T
	has a major overhaul in style. BUT IF IT WAS PD, it would not
	be a "technicality". Nothing becomes PD, unless it is declared
	by a court as such, or declared by the author/innovator as such.

>You don't have to buy a product if you don't like its price.
>But you certainly have no right to take away someone's livelihood.

	You sound as if someone has just taken away someone's
	livelyhood. I was merely questioning the status of
	Montgomery Emacs. It was cleared up later.

>If you feel differently about this, then I suggest you go to your
>employer and tell him that he no longer has to pay you wages for
>the code you write for him.

	My paycheck says that they do not !! :-)

	All this trivia aside, I am sure you will see other emacs-like
	editors in the public domain, or released in source-level
	with copyright, as in GNU Emacs. You see, if people want to
	have their editor in the source form, at the cost of the
	distribution media, they will get it no matter what any
	software company tries to do. (I do not imply stealing,
	disassembling or any such legally questionable means)

	GNU is just a start.

Oz

--

tp@ndm20 (01/01/86)

>Why is it that in light of the existence of GNU emacs, and number of
>other poverful emacses, even an earlier version of monty's emacs cause
>so much contraversy ??

Alas, some of us don't have gnu emacs, for reasons other than lack of
wanting it.  It may  or may  not run  on SysV  yet (I've  been out of
touch for a while).  If it does run on SysV, it  probably hasn't been
ported to my machine yet  (masscomp).   I don't  have time  to do the
port.  Even if it has been, since I don't  have a  tape drive, nobody
will send  it to  me anyway  (only a  masscomp with  a cassette drive
could produce media I could use, and as I said, I don't think it runs
on  Masscomp).   So,  I'm whining.   The  point is  that just because
something is free and public domain doesn't mean that everyone should
have it.  Some of us don't have vaxes.   Some  of us  don't have 4.2.
Some of us don't have tape drives, or internet  access.   There are a
lot of PD programs I'd like to have,  like TeX,  RCS, MH  or MMDF and
Gnumacs.  But I have  to live  with nroff,  sccs, the  V7 mailer, and
Unipress  emacs  (which  can  only  laughingly  be  said to  run on a
Masscomp, but it will edit a file if you don't use  any packages, and
if you can figure out the trick it takes to make it run in a Masscomp
window, and if you  ...)(All the  above despite  the fact  that I was
promised a fixed version 6 months ago, 3 months ago, ...   they don't
answer my email any more...)

Thanks,
Terry Poot
Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers
(214)739-4741
Usenet: ...!{allegra|ihnp4}!convex!smu!ndm20!tp
CSNET:  ndm20!tp@smu
ARPA:   ndm20!tp%smu@csnet-relay.ARPA