[net.emacs] SUN III GNU?

schwrtze@acf8.UUCP (E. Schwartz group) (01/11/86)

I know someone who has had immediate difficulty (i.e. running make with
errors in src), compiling GNU EMACS, on a SUN III. This machine is new, but
apparently downward compatible. SUN III people have you had this prob?

Hedley.

hedley@alaya
cmcl2!alaya!hedley
cmcl2!allegra!orville!cci6!hedley

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (01/12/86)

I have done a preliminary version of the changes necessary to run GNU
Emacs on the SUN3, it works here at Boston University. I have sent
these changes to RMS (about two hours ago) but if you need them send
me mail, I have a shar file set up for individual requests.

All the needed changes as far as I could tell were in unexec.c, some
changes have occurred to the a.out format for SUN3/Release 3.0, these
will also, from what I can tell reading a.out.h, affect SUN2/Release 3.0
later. I have also included a trivial m-sun3.h to maintain backwards
compatibility.

These changes were originally made to 17.30 (the test version) and are
now running in 17.36. This is the version with System V compatibility
and unexec.c is very different I believe from earlier (pre-17)
versions tho the adaption is easier once you have the code I presume.
What I am saying is it will be trivial to incorporate my changes if
you are starting with 17.36 (you just replace unexec.c with mine, edit
config.h to pull in m-sun3.h and re-build), otherwise you may have
some work to do (get the new version.)

Oh yeah, it runs like the proverbial bat out of... on the SUN3.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

ya know, this was stupid, the changes are shorter than this note...the
point is that I'd rather not generally distribute the changes, RMS
does that, but if you really need them yesterday send me a note (no
software collectors please.)

tower@prep.ai.mit.edu (01/12/86)

From: tower@prep.ai.mit.edu (Leonard H. Tower Jr.)
From: bu-cs!bzs@mit-eddie (Barry Shein)