[net.emacs] Using VT-220 function keys in CCA emacs

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (01/16/86)

	We've got a VT-220 clone as a demo and I'm trying to make the
function keys do useful things in emacs (CCA version 162.43z).  The
sequences the special keys send are a pain to make emacs recognize; they
are all of the format "esc [ N N ~".

	By way of example, the "Help" key sends "esc [ 2 8 ~".  I put in my
my init file (.emacs_keys) the following:

M-[		^R Prefix Character For Function Keys
M-[ 2		^R Prefix Character For Function Keys
M-[ 2 8		^R Prefix Character For Function Keys
M-[ 2 8 ~	^R Help

	This works, but it means two lines in the init file for every key I
want to support, plus one more line for every group of 10.  It seems like
there has to be a better way.  The other, equally ugly, alternative is to
reprogram the keys.  I could reprogram "Help" to send "esc X C-R Help
return" but that seems a bit absurd.  Can anybody think of a nicer way to
do this?
--
Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

z@sunne.uucp (Steve Zimmerman) (01/19/86)

CCA EMACS has a special function called Prefix Character with Terminator
which is designed for terminals such as Televideos, Suns, and VT-220s
that have a lot of function keys with the same character ending each
escape sequence.  For example, on my Sun, the L3 key sends <ESC>[194z.
The entry in the keys file is

\e [ 1 9 4	Goto Beginning

The 'z' is automatically thrown away by EMACS.  Note that you still have
to have the normal prefix character commands for the first several
characters.

	Steve Zimmerman

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (01/25/86)

In article <2134@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	We've got a VT-220 clone as a demo and I'm trying to make the
>function keys do useful things in emacs (CCA version 162.43z).  The
>sequences the special keys send are a pain to make emacs recognize; they
>are all of the format "esc [ N N ~".

Not only that, but on a real VT-220, the function keys have to be
shifted to send user defined sequences.
--
 This may not even represent *my* opinion.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com