[net.emacs] PC JOVE IS NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN

davy@pur-ee.UUCP (Dave Curry) (02/05/86)

[I am copying this to net.emacs, since this is discussed there from time
 to time -- maybe rn will even let me do it...]

Tim Iverson is quite correct in stating that JOVE is not public domain.
The following copyright notice appears on all the current source files:

/*************************************************************************
 * This program is copyright (C) 1984,1985,1986 by Jonathan Payne/Unison *
 * World Inc.  It is provided to you without charge for use only on a    *
 * licensed Unix system.  You may copy JOVE provided that this notice    *
 * is included with the copy.  You may not sell copies of this program   *
 * or versions modified for use on microcomputer systems.                *
 *************************************************************************/

Jon checked this summer with the folks at Unison World, and they told him
it was okay for him to continue to release JOVE to people on "real"
machines (Vaxes, etc.) since that was not their intended market (micros)
anyway.

By the way, JOVE will appear as user-contributed software on the 4.3BSD
tape.  It has been extensively improved over the version most of you
probably have, including interactive processes in windows, filename
completion, lisp mode, a more complete set of EMACS-like commands, bug
fixes, speed improvements, etc.  In short, it's fantastic.  Still fits
on a PDP-11, even.

--Dave Curry
davy@ee.purdue.edu
ihnp4!pur-ee!davy

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (02/07/86)

In article <3704@pur-ee.UUCP> davy@pur-ee.UUCP (Dave Curry) writes:

>Tim Iverson is quite correct in stating that JOVE is not public domain.
>The following copyright notice appears on all the current source files:
>
>/*************************************************************************
> * This program is copyright (C) 1984,1985,1986 by Jonathan Payne/Unison *
> * World Inc.  It is provided to you without charge for use only on a    *
> * licensed Unix system.  You may copy JOVE provided that this notice    *
> * is included with the copy.  You may not sell copies of this program   *
> * or versions modified for use on microcomputer systems.                *
> *************************************************************************/

	Key phrase here is the *current* source files. The previous ones
	DID NOT contain such a notice, and various hacked-up versions
	of jove is based on the very original, that was sent around long
	before 1984. What is this ??? Regressive copyrighting ??? I am
	getting very tired of this nonsense. The latest version Jonathan
	has released, and the one coming with 4.3 is out of bounds, for
	sure. But anything before that is *not* covered. In fact, if
	u-emacs does not turn out to be a superior replacement for
	jove, I fully intend to hack an earlier version, replace the
	regexp and temp-I/O code (two portions of code that limits
	distribution of JOVE) and POST IT TO THE NET. For your info,
	Un*x or non-Un*x, rest of the World already GOT jove. You see,
	it was included in the DECUS 85 Spring symposium tapes !!!

>Jon checked this summer with the folks at Unison World, and they told him
>it was okay for him to continue to release JOVE to people on "real"
>machines (Vaxes, etc.) since that was not their intended market (micros)
>anyway.

	Gee.. How nice of them !

Oz
--
Usenet: [decvax|allegra|linus|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti]

greg@unlv.UUCP (Greg Wohletz) (02/11/86)

In article <320@yetti.UUCP> oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>In article <3704@pur-ee.UUCP> davy@pur-ee.UUCP (Dave Curry) writes:
>>
>>Tim Iverson is quite correct in stating that JOVE is not public domain.
>>The following copyright notice appears on all the current source files:
>>
>>/*************************************************************************
>> * This program is copyright (C) 1984,1985,1986 by Jonathan Payne/Unison *
>> * World Inc.  It is provided to you without charge for use only on a    *
>> * licensed Unix system.  You may copy JOVE provided that this notice    *
>> * is included with the copy.  You may not sell copies of this program   *
>> * or versions modified for use on microcomputer systems.                *
>> *************************************************************************/
>>
>	Key phrase here is the *current* source files. The previous ones
>	DID NOT contain such a notice, and various hacked-up versions
>	of jove is based on the very original, that was sent around long
>	before 1984. What is this ??? Regressive copyrighting ??? I am
>	getting very tired of this nonsense. The latest version Jonathan
>	has released, and the one coming with 4.3 is out of bounds, for
>	sure. But anything before that is *not* covered. In fact, if
>	u-emacs does not turn out to be a superior replacement for
>	jove, I fully intend to hack an earlier version, replace the
>	regexp and temp-I/O code (two portions of code that limits
>	distribution of JOVE) and POST IT TO THE NET. For your info,
>	Un*x or non-Un*x, rest of the World already GOT jove. You see,
>	it was included in the DECUS 85 Spring symposium tapes !!!
>
>>Jon checked this summer with the folks at Unison World, and they told him
>>it was okay for him to continue to release JOVE to people on "real"
>>machines (Vaxes, etc.) since that was not their intended market (micros)
>>anyway.
>>
>	Gee.. How nice of them !

Get this discussion the hell out of net.sources!  Followups will go to net.emacs

University of Nevada, Las Vegas			--Greg Wohletz
"Death to Kate Bush"				greg%unlv@CSNet-Relay
"Long live Stevie Ray Vaughan"			seismo!unrvax!unlv!greg

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (02/11/86)

In article <320@yetti.UUCP> oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>In article <3704@pur-ee.UUCP> davy@pur-ee.UUCP (Dave Curry) writes:
>>
>>Tim Iverson is quite correct in stating that JOVE is not public domain.
>>The following copyright notice appears on all the current source files:
>>
>>/*************************************************************************
>> * This program is copyright (C) 1984,1985,1986 by Jonathan Payne/Unison *
>> * World Inc.  It is provided to you without charge for use only on a    *
>> * licensed Unix system.  You may copy JOVE provided that this notice    *
>> * is included with the copy.  You may not sell copies of this program   *
>> * or versions modified for use on microcomputer systems.                *
>> *************************************************************************/

This notice contains two parts:
 1) it is free for licensed UNIX systems. I can't see anyone claiming that
this doesn't include the ATT7300.
 2) you may not SELL (emphasis mine)
    a) copies of this program
    b) versions modified for use on a microcomputer.

Item two does not seem to prohibit personal use of the program on a
microcomputer. It obviously prohibits sale of such a version, and I doubt
that anyone could miss the fact that giving the PC version away would
reduce sales.
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."