[net.emacs] Need Help in Installing Emacs on Sys V

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (03/12/86)

In article <305@cray.UUCP> hrp@cray.UUCP (Hal Peterson) writes:

>> I am having difficulties installing GNU Emacs 17.49 on a vax-750 running
>> System 5.0 version 2.
>
>I've been having identical difficulties with 17.49 on a VAX 785 running
>System V.2.  I used the same workarounds.
>
>> The real difficulty came when TEMACS started loading standard lisp packages
>> and called (garbage-collect).  It gave the message 'Wrong type of argument:
>> stringp, 1329' and hang until I typed control-D.
>
>I got around this by commenting out all of the (garbage-collect) lines
>in loadup.el and putting (setq gc-cons-threshold (* 2 gc-cons-threshold))
>at the beginning of loadup.el.  Note that that's a WORKAROUND, NOT A
>FIX.  Anyway, once that was done, temacs ran to completion and dumped
>to xemacs.
>
>The bad news is that this xemacs now says "Fatal error." and dumps core with
>a bus error when I try to run it.  I have no idea why, or how to find out
>why.

Yes, the problem is known, but not solved well yet.  The problem which
is manifested here is that the USG loader puts all data of storage
class `static' into the data segment, whether actually initialized or
not.  I have no idea why it chooses to do this.  There is a solution
for this for the time being, but it is very bad: Convince ymakefile to
use the -N ld(1) option.  The result is an xemacs which won't dump
core when run, but which has (gag, choke) a writable text segment,
necessarily non-shared.

I tried a grotesque hack to #define static <nothing> in s-usg5.0.h, so
that nothing would be created of class static, but it did not work.  I
intend to go back and hunt this problem, but I haven't had the time to
so much as look at GNUemacs-related things in over 3 weeks now.  So if
you want it to fly at all, you will have to be satisfied for the time
being with a non-shared monster of a program.  Tom Kirk (moss!tk) has
also been looking into the problem (limited, also for reasons of time
constraints for this sort of thing).  If anyone's got any brainstorms
on the problem, please let us all know.

Sigh...
--
Karl Kleinpaste