[net.emacs] GNU EMACS

mikem@uwstat.UUCP (03/27/85)

My first impression of gnu-emacs is that IT IS GREAT.
Even without any documentation, you can find your way around (but I've
had many years of experience on TOPS-20 and gosling emacs ...).  Gem
does a much better job of being self documenting than gosling emacs
does.  Even lisp code can contain document strings.  I encourage
everyone to get a copy of gem and send a contribution to the GNU
project.  This quality of freeware is well worth it.

Now a question for the gem guru's.
Can somebody send (or post) a .emacs file for Gnu-emacs.  I would like
to see a reasonably comlicated template.

Thanks,

--

Mike Meyer --  Phone +1 (608) 262-1157 (Leave messages at 262-2598)

ARPA:  mikem@Statistics  <==>	mikem@Wisc-Stat.ARPA
UUCP:  ...!{allegra,ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,pyr_chi,heurikon}!uwvax!uwstat!mikem

jss@rochester.UUCP (Jon S. Stumpf) (05/29/85)

Peeve(s):
One thing I found bothersome with GNU Emacs is the "hardwiring"
of Control-h to a particular function on the global map.
I use backspace as my erase character and would prefer to keep
it that way.  I have redefined it to be ESC-? but the documentation
is really set upon Control-h.  I think the bindings should be more
flexible.

Question(s):
Is GNU Emacs dependant on a external lisp implementation or is
it all built in?  If it is dependant on an external lisp, can I
use xlisp instead of whatever it uses?

Is there a GNU Emacs that can be brought up on a VAX 11/750
running 4.2 and a 3B20s running System V Release 2 on the
same day?

Is there a way to define a new map?  What I am trying to do
is create a keymap for the CSI (control sequence introducer:
ESC-[) character string used on vt100's, etc.

Request(s):
If possible I would like the path to Richard M. Stallman
so I don't have to bother the world with my personal requests.

I would like any literature on Richard M. Stallman's company
and/or employer, Lisp Machines Inc.

I would like the next distribution of GNU Emacs when it comes out.
I prefer to send a tape.  I have a previous version but can wait
since I am in the middle of getting a VAX ready for use.

Thanks.

Jon S. Stumpf
allegra!hostc1!jss	(until the vax gets lines)

--

Jon S. Stumpf @ U. of Rochester
{allegra|decvax|seismo}!rochester!jss

rms@mit-prep (06/27/85)

From: Richard M. Stallman <rms@mit-prep>
I was going to wait for Fen's message before saying more on the issue,
but Fen's message ran into mailer troubles at Megatest.  It may be
on its way now, but I don't want to wait any longer.

I have decided to replace the Gosling code in GNU Emacs,
even though I still believe Fen and I have permission to
distribute that code, in order to keep people's confidence
in the GNU project.

I came to this decision when I found, this night, that I saw
how to rewrite the parts that had seemed hard.  I expect to
have the job done by the weekend.

Unfortunately, this will delay the the time you receive the GNU Emacs
manual.  I'm sure Unipress is happy to have accomplished that.

Software sharers are happy if you get good software.
Software-hoarding organizations such as Unipress and CCA are looking
for ways they can restrict you, because each restriction they can
manage to impose means more pressure on you to pay them.  If there
is an alternative to paying them, they want to close it off.

For example, just by looking at Zimmerman's messages, you can see
that his goal is to convince you of the most restrictive interpretation
of the law at every juncture--to get you to forfeit as much as possible.
Gosling says he supports free software--yet he was clearly making
preparations to sell Gosling Emacs even while urging the community
to contribute.

This is the kind of attitude that people develop when they make a
habit of profiting from interfering with other people.

In the long run, you are better off encouraging the growth of organizations
that want to give you software, and not feeding companies Unipress or CCA
that really just want to take as much as possible from you.

z@masscomp.UUCP (Steve Zimmerman) (06/28/85)

> From: Richard M. Stallman <rms@mit-prep>
> For example, just by looking at Zimmerman's messages, you can see
> that his goal is to convince you of the most restrictive interpretation
> of the law at every juncture--to get you to forfeit as much as possible.

I challenge you to find an attorney who has a "less restrictive"
interpretation of the law in this case.  This just happens to be the way
the law is interpreted by the courts.

> This is the kind of attitude that people develop when they make a
> habit of profiting from interfering with other people.

In an earlier message, I urged you to rewrite those portions of GNU
Emacs containing Gosling's code.  Now that you are doing so, I am quite
satisfied, and once this is finished, I can see no legal reason for
someone not to use GNU Emacs.  I fail to see how I have profited from
this.  To the contrary, it seems to be your users who have profited, for
they will soon be able to use GNU Emacs without doubts as to its legal
status.  Since UniPress apparently helped you come to your decision, I
cannot see why they should be condemned.  I think most of your users
would prefer to wait a little bit longer for the GNU Emacs manual in
order to have a product that is free from questions about its legality.

	Steve Zimmerman
	Masscomp

brahms@spp3.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) (12/16/85)

[}{]
Is there a version of GNU emacs (or any other version) that will run on
the UNIX-PC?  I'm currently running with 1MB of memory (it will increase to
2MB) and a 20MB hard disk.  The version of Unix is System V rel 2 version
0.

Thank You for any help that you can provide.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

latzko@andromeda.UUCP (..Alex..) (12/18/85)

In article <232@spp3.UUCP> brahms@spp3.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) writes:
>[}{]
>Is there a version of GNU emacs (or any other version) that will run on
>the UNIX-PC?  I'm currently running with 1MB of memory (it will increase to
>2MB) and a 20MB hard disk.  The version of Unix is System V rel 2 version
>0.
>
>Thank You for any help that you can provide.
>
>			-- Brad Brahms
>			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
>			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

You might want to contact Unipress. I saw an add of theirs saying they
have a pc7300 version.

cheers
/S*
{topaz!andromeda!latzko.uucp
{siggy@aim.rutgers.edu

Insert standard non-commercial-disclaimer here.....

rms@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU (03/03/86)

From: rms@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU (Richard M. Stallman)

GNU Emacs is not in the public domain, but it is free:
everyone is permitted to duplicate and redistribute it
under conditions that are designed to prevent any
proprietary versions of it from ever existing.

If you can transfer files on the Internet, you can get
the file /u2/emacs/GETTING-GNU-SOFTWARE from prep.mit.ai.edu
which tells you how to copy Emacs from that machine.

Other people may also make copies of Emacs available for
copying in various ways; I don't keep track of them.

The Free Software Foundation will mail you a 1600bpi tar tape
containing Emacs (plus scheme, bison and hack) if you send $150 in
advance (overseas add $15 if you want air mail; Massachusetts
residents add 5% sales tax).  Printed Emacs manuals are $15 (plus $15
for air mail, or 5% in Mass).  The address is

    Free Software Foundation
    1000 Mass Ave
    Cambridge, MA 02138

thompson@dalcs.UUCP (03/21/86)

	I am interested in obtaining a recent version of GNU EMACS
    (for 4.2bsd),  If you are willing to send me a copy of a
    distribution, please  send me EMAIL with the version of GNU EMACS
    that you have the  distribution for, also if your site is
    accessible thru datapac it  would be helpful to know this as
    well. Our system has not  received news since august 85, so we
    have a bit of catching up to  do.
--

			   Michael A. Thompson
CDN:			   thompson@cs.dal.ean