[net.emacs] strong/innocuous manual covers?

karl@cbrma.UUCP (04/22/86)

From: cbrma!karl@seismo.CSS.GOV

I happened to glance at the file etc/DISTRIB.  I almost never look at
it, since I don't need to worry much about how to get a copy when I
need it.  But I was noticing the order form at the end; could someone
describe for me the difference between the "strong" and "innocuous"
covers?  Or will I have to satisfy my curiosity by buying a copy?
--
Karl Kleinpaste

maddox@renoir.berkeley.edu (William Maddox) (04/23/86)

I have seen two versions of the GNU Emacs manual.  One has a plain cover
without any illustration.  The other, presumably the 'strong' one, depicts
Richard Stallman as a knight in armor, riding a gnu, chasing after a sleazy
character gripping a software license, dropping money and floppies everywhere,
and running for his life.

Bill
ucbvax!renoir!maddox

phr%ucbvax@ucbvax.UUCP (04/26/86)

> I have seen two versions of the GNU Emacs manual.  One has a plain cover
> without any illustration.  The other, presumably the 'strong' one, depicts
> Richard Stallman as a knight in armor, riding a gnu, chasing after a sleazy
> character gripping a software license, dropping money and floppies everywhere,
> and running for his life.

FSF shipped some xeroxed manuals with unillustrated covers before the
current (very attractive!) batch came in.  The one you describe is
indeed the strong version, but you didn't mention that the knight
riding the gnu (who semi-accidentally resembles RMS) is on the front
cover, and the sleazy character being chased is on the back cover;
there's nothing on the front cover to indicate that someone is
being chased.  The innocuous version has the same front cover, but
instead of the back cover illo has some text describing what Emacs is.
This is partly intended for bookstore browsers who have never heard of Emacs.
Most people tell me that the software hoarder picture is more humorous
than offensive, but I could imagine diehard corporate pinheads
getting upset by it.

I had a hand in producing the printed copies of this manual, so
of course I want you to all go buy copies (see etc/DISTRIB).  They
are trade paperback size (i.e., like the K&R C book), phototypeset
and offset printed, and include a reference card.  You have your
choice of GBC spiral or regular paperback binding.  (I recommend
the spiral binding for easier handling).