[net.emacs] Response to <569@tjalk.UUCP> <1660@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> <1620@wucs.UUCP>

Unknown@hplabs.UUCP (04/27/86)

This message is empty.

jqj%gvax@gvax.UUCP (04/27/86)

In article <1620@wucs.UUCP> nz@wucs.UUCP (Neal Ziring) writes:
>The way I originally heard it from DEC-20 hacks was:
> . . .
>	^Z	ctrl-Z was originally the C-M- prefix...  ^Z was chosen
>		because it is near where the META key is on keyboards
>		with META keys.
Actually, some even earlier history:  on ITS, ^Z was the EMACS exit,
and ^C was C-M- (I think).  Tops-20 people at SRI and Stanford who
grabbed ITS Emacs didn't like it, so browbeat RMS into agreeing that
meanings of ^C and ^Z should be switched.  Needless to say, this left
a situation that was very confusing to those of us who were using both
ITS and Twenex EMACS; good thing "CONTINUE" existed!

barmar%mit-eddie@mit-eddie.UUCP (04/28/86)

In article <1620@wucs.UUCP> nz@wucs.UUCP (Neal Ziring) writes:
>	^Z	ctrl-Z was originally the C-M- prefix, and I have
>		made it be so for my environment.  ^Z was chosen
>		because it is near where the META key is on keyboards
>		with META keys.

That's not quite the way it happened.  EMACS was originally implemented
on ITS, on which ^Z was normally the interrupt character, so ^Z was
bound to a command to suspend the editor, and ^C was the C-M- prefix
command.  When it was ported to TOPS-20, these two commands were
interchanged, because ^C on TOPS-20 is analogous to ^Z on ITS.

I suspect that ^C may have been used in the original implementation
because it is one of the initials of Control or Meta, and most other
characters were already taken.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics