[net.emacs] .el code to merge GNU diffs

gnu%hoptoad@hoptoad.UUCP (05/05/86)

Subject: Re: .el code to merge GNU diffs  -- obsoleted by "patch"

In article <11230003@acf8.UUCP>, schwrtze@acf8.UUCP (E. Schwartz group) writes:
> Here is a .el program I wrote to work on a dist directory and provided diffs
> it will make the changes to the appropriate source files.
>                          No modifications to the source since THis method will
> fail because it uses absolute line numbers.
> is there an easier way?

Yes, there is a much easier way.  Larry Wall wrote a public domain
program called "patch" which takes a set of diffs (preferably context
diffs) and applies them to source files, whether or not you've made a
few local changes.  It does most of what you as a human would do,
looking to see where the lines being patched have moved a little and
adjusting the new lines appropriately.  If you don't have "patch", get
it from the mod.sources archive.  It's great.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   jgilmore@lll-crg.arpa