[net.emacs] distributing gnu

bogstad@HOPKINS-EECS-BRAVO.ARPA ("William J. Bogstad") (05/20/86)

Subject: Re: distributing gnu - let's think about this

In <2633@teddy.uucp> John Nelson says:
>I recently obtained a copy of BISON (the GNU yacc equivalent).  It appears
>that every C file genrated by BISON contains the GNU copyright.  I contacted
>Richard Stallman to make sure this was not accidental - his reply was that
>this copyright was included in the generated C source file because it includes
>a copy of the parser written by him.  To the best of my understanding, this
>implies that I cannot sell any program that uses BISON to generate a parser
>- In fact, I must be willing to give away that C source.
>
>Richard didn't seem very upset when I suggested that I couldn't use
>BISON if I had to give away the generated C program.  In fact, He was
>quite pleased (something like:  He was just as pleased as if a gun he'd
>manufactured couldn't be used for murder).

	I know for a fact that Richard didn't write bison from scratch.
Someone out at Berkeley did the original work and RMS did a lot to clean
it up and make it more equivalent to yacc.  I don't know what the
original author thinks about this, but I find it a little disturbing.

	Don't take me wrong, I like what RMS is doing and in fact
contributed a small hack to FSF.  I just think that he is taking this a
little too far.  Why not have GNU Emacs insert a copyright into
everything it produces?  Or at least your C code since you are using
the auto formatting of c-mode aren't you?

	BTW, when I sent RMS my hack to replace "colrm"; I got a message
back asking me to print and sign the following form:

----
Richard Stallman
545 Tech Sq, rm 703
Cambridge, MA 02139

			    ASSIGNMENT

   For good and valuable consideration, receipt of which I
acknowledge, I hereby transfer to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.
(the "Foundation") my entire right, title, and interest (including all
rights under copyright) in my computer program "colrm.c"
(the "Program").

   However, upon thirty days' prior written notice, the Foundation
agrees to grant me non-exclusive rights to use the program as I see
fit; (and the Foundation shall also own similar non-exclusive rights).

   I hereby indemnify and hold harmless the Foundation, its officers,
employees, and agents against any and all claims, actions or damages
(including attorney's reasonable fees) asserted by or paid to any
party relating to the program.

Agreed:

Date signed:

----

	Any comments on this?  I was a little taken aback by it, but
eventually decided that it was reasonable.  I wonder if the only reason
he did this was because I had included a copyright notice in my code
which allowed me to do anything with my code and others could only give
it away.  Would this allow FSF to sell my code?

(Sorry for the length on this.)	Bill Bogstad
				bogstad@hopkins-eecs-bravoa.arpa

phr@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Rubin) (05/21/86)

In <2633@teddy.uucp> John Nelson says:
>I recently obtained a copy of BISON (the GNU yacc equivalent).  It appears
>that every C file genrated by BISON contains the GNU copyright.  I contacted
>Richard Stallman to make sure this was not accidental - his reply was that
>this copyright was included in the generated C source file because it includes
>a copy of the parser written by him.  To the best of my understanding, this
>implies that I cannot sell any program that uses BISON to generate a parser
>- In fact, I must be willing to give away that C source.
>
>Richard didn't seem very upset when I suggested that I couldn't use
>BISON if I had to give away the generated C program.  In fact, He was
>quite pleased (something like:  He was just as pleased as if a gun he'd
>manufactured couldn't be used for murder).

If you generate a C program with GNU Bison that includes RMS's parser,
you have the option of distributing it, under certain terms designed
to encourage maximal cooperation with other programmers.  If you use
Unix Yacc, with the parser written by AT&T, you could not distribute
the resulting C program AT ALL.  Why are you complaining?

By the way, it is not true that the GNU copyright requires you to
distribute (for free or or any other way) any programs affected by it.
It says that *if* you choose to distribute them, *then* you must
distribute them under the same terms as the rest of GNU (i.e., in
source form or with source code available, and with no restrictions on
further redistribution).  This does not prevent you from doing
anything that you could do under a conventional license, which would
not allow redistribution at all.  GNU aims to provide an alternative
to proprietary software, that everyone can use, always.  Allowing GNU
code to be used inside proprietary products would be self-defeating.

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (05/23/86)

>If you generate a C program with GNU Bison that includes RMS's parser,
>you have the option of distributing it, under certain terms designed
>to encourage maximal cooperation with other programmers.  If you use
>Unix Yacc, with the parser written by AT&T, you could not distribute
>the resulting C program AT ALL.  Why are you complaining?

I'm not complaining.  I just said that I couldn't use bison because of
it's restrictions.

By the way, I had heard that AT&T had relinquished the rights to programs
generated by yacc.  Does anyone have the facts?

In any case, I just obtained a copy of yacc from the "Austin Code Works"
(you can find their ads in Dr. Dobbs, or Computer Language).  For ~$20
with source code and documentation.  This looks an awful lot like the
UNIX yacc, but it has "DECUS" sprinkled throughout the comments.  They
make no claim on the generated source code.

Bottom line, I would much rather spend 20 dollars for a program that I am
free to use as I wish, than for a "free" program that I am restricted to use on
projects that are "public-spirited".

tihor@acf4.UUCP (Stephen Tihor) (05/23/86)

The AT&T parser has been (alegedly) placed into the PD to eliminate the yacc
/lex problem.  If true this places GNU in a "worse" position.

tp@ndm20 (05/25/86)

>>I recently obtained a copy of BISON (the GNU yacc equivalent).  It appears
>>that every C file genrated by BISON contains the GNU copyright.  I contacted

>to encourage maximal cooperation with other programmers.  If you use
>Unix Yacc, with the parser written by AT&T, you could not distribute
>the resulting C program AT ALL.  Why are you complaining?

Any  other  opinions on  this?   Last I  looked, yacc  did not insert
copyright notices in its output.  There is  no restriction  on use of
yacc output (I didn't sign anything to that effect, and I have yacc).
AT&T seems not to have chosen to restric use of their  parser.  Also,
I am  not a  yacc user,  but I  thought the  parser was  written in a
semi-bnf form by the yacc user, and yacc basically 'compiled' it to C
code.  If this is true, copyrighting yacc output is like copyrighting
a compiler's output.

Terry Poot
Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers
(214)739-4741
Usenet: {seismo!c1east | cbosgd!sun | ihnp4}!convex!infoswx!ndm20!tp
CSNET:  ndm20!tp@smu
ARPA:   ndm20!tp%smu@csnet-relay.ARPA

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (05/26/86)

In article <2657@teddy.UUCP> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:

>In any case, I just obtained a copy of yacc from the "Austin Code Works"
>(you can find their ads in Dr. Dobbs, or Computer Language).  For ~$20
>with source code and documentation.  This looks an awful lot like the
>UNIX yacc, but it has "DECUS" sprinkled throughout the comments.  They
>make no claim on the generated source code.

	I said this on the net before; The program you have just
	obtained is *the* un*x yacc, that was broken up for DECUS
	C compiler, and was submitted to a DECUS tape. It is, strictly
	speaking, illegal. So, you would rather use that one eh ??
	Good luck !!.

oZ
--
The best way to have a 		Usenet: [decvax|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
good idea is to have a 		Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti].BITNET