[net.emacs] GNU Emacs on the Amiga

sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) (06/29/86)

In article <1024@spice.cs.cmu.edu> djz@spice.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:
>Is anybody working on a port of GNU Emacs to the Amiga?  Does anyone know
>how hard this would be to do?  I am thinking of porting it, but I haven't
>used GNU Emacs too much so I don't know how difficult it would be.

There is, and has been, an EMACS port for the Amiga and other computers
   posted in this news group in the last several months.  If you watch
   net.micro.pc, and net.sources, you will see microemacs-3.7 being posted
   soon by lawrence@duncan.  It is a port of GNU emacs that has been fixed
   to work with most micro-computer compilers.  It was originally ported
   to the Amiga, and has since been expanded for the other micros.  Get it
   soon.
					- bob
--
------------
Continuing Engineering Education Telecommunications

"Time is a mouse that requires constant feeding..." -- me

	...!ihnp4!pur-ee!pc-ecn!sandersr

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (06/30/86)

In article <533@ecn-pc.UUCP> sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) writes:
>There is, and has been, an EMACS port for the Amiga and other computers
>   posted in this news group in the last several months.  If you watch
>   net.micro.pc, and net.sources, you will see microemacs-3.7 being posted
>   soon by lawrence@duncan.  It is a port of GNU emacs that has been fixed
>   to work with most micro-computer compilers.  It was originally ported
>   to the Amiga, and has since been expanded for the other micros.  Get it
>   soon.
>					- bob

Unless Lawrence has radically changed things, 3.7 is NOT a port of GNU
emacs. 3.5 and 3.6 where not ports, and had different commands sets.
It would not be unreasonable to assume that 3.7 had been changed to
have a GNU-like command set. Likewise, the 3.x microemacs are a
variant of Dave Conroy's microemacs, which appeared on the net as v30.
Both of these pre-date the Amiga, so it's highly unlikely that they
were first ported to the Amiga. Of course, 3.7 could have been
developed on the Amiga, or Lawrence could have restarted from scratch.

There is a variant of v30 (which is faster than 3.6) that looks like
GNU and runs on the Amiga. It is currently being tested by the
bug-microemacs group, and the target date for release is July 31st.

	<mike

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) (07/03/86)

In article <189@rebel.UUCP>, george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) writes:
> ... (a bunch of quotes of quotes of quotes)...
>
> ... the GNU Emacs distribution doesn't come with VMS support ...

Yes, but I understand that the next major release (v18?) will have VMS stuff
included in the standard model from RMS, with `#ifdef's all over the place
to make it easy to compile and install.  After that the lines will stay
merged, we can hope.

As to the rest of your portability questions (and the real issue of your
comments), I'll leave it up to someone who has worked with it.  I'm still
waiting for my tape to come back.
--
Human: Bob Sutterfield
 Mail: bob%osuag.uucp@ohio-state.arpa	or: bob@ohio-state.arpa

dca@edison.UUCP (07/11/86)

In article <932@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu writes:
> In article <533@ecn-pc.UUCP> sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) writes:
> >There is, and has been, an EMACS port for the Amiga and other computers
> >   posted in this news group in the last several months.  If you watch
> >   net.micro.pc, and net.sources, you will see microemacs-3.7 being posted
> >   soon by lawrence@duncan.  It is a port of GNU emacs that has been fixed
> >   to work with most micro-computer compilers.  It was originally ported
> >   to the Amiga, and has since been expanded for the other micros.  Get it
> >   soon.
> >					- bob

MICROemacs is so called because it is a hard coded emacs that lacks the
on-line reprogrammability of emacs.  MICROemacs incorporates neither
a mock lisp nor a full lisp interpreter (ala. GNU emacs).  The source,
however, is readily available for those who like to "roll there own"
and a little C code can produce the environment you like.  The benefits
are a fast and relatively small editor. A set of
revisions to make microemacs 3.6 look like gnu emacs was posted within
the last couple months.  I can't testify to their efficacy because
I am used to Gosling emacs and I found the GNU rebindings a pain so
I didn't install them.

David Albrecht

authorplaceholder@duncan.UUCP (07/14/86)

	Granted MicroEMACS does not have a Lisp extension language in
it, we really still want it to fit on most microes, but it does have
a simple expansion languaged based on commands. Check the documentation
for MicroEMACS 3.7
					Daniel Lawrence
					ihnp4!pur-ee!pur-phy!duncan!lawrence