[net.emacs] GNU Emacs on System V Unix

ltx@mhuxt.UUCP (okula) (07/07/86)

Is there anyone who has ported GNU Emacs to System V Unix?
If so, I'd like to get a copy of it, or talk to you about it.
Reply to me or to the net.

Thanks,
Bob Kossey
{...!mhuxt!mhltx!rmk}
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Murray Hill, N. J.
(201)582-7971

ron@vsedev.UUCP (Ron Flax) (07/09/86)

In article <975@mhuxt.UUCP> ltx@mhuxt.UUCP (okula) writes:
>Is there anyone who has ported GNU Emacs to System V Unix?
>If so, I'd like to get a copy of it, or talk to you about it.
>Reply to me or to the net.

Yes, I would also be interested in such a beast!

--
ron@vsedev.UUCP	       (Ron Flax)
UUCP:	..!seismo!vsedev!ron

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (07/11/86)

>>Is there anyone who has ported GNU Emacs to System V Unix?
>Yes, I would also be interested in such a beast!

For general info of anyone who might need to know, here's the file
dist/etc/MACHINES from the GNU Emacs distribution.  This is from the
latest version, 17.64, although v18 is apparently `in progress' on
prep.  SysV works now, as do a number of the BSD/SysV hybrids.

================ dist/etc/MACHINES ================
This is a list of the status of GNU Emacs on various machines and systems.
Last updated March 25, 1986.

Systems:
  For each type of system, the name of the appropriate s- header file
  is given.

Berkeley 4.1 (s-bsd4.1.h)

  Works on vaxes.

Berkeley 4.2 (s-bsd4.2.h)

  Works on several machines.

Berkeley 4.3 (s-bsd4.3.h)

  Works, on Vaxes at least.

Ultrix

  This is another name for Berkeley 4.2.

Uniplus 5.2 (s-unipl5.2.h)

  Works, on Dual machines at least.

VMS

  A port for this system is in distribution on the
  Internet, but the changes have not been merged
  into this Emacs distribution yet.

System V rel 0 (s-usg5.0.h)

  Works, on Vaxes.

System V rel 2 (s-usg5.2.h)

  Works on various machines.
  On some (maybe all) machines the library -lPW exists and contains
  a version of `alloca'.  On these machines, to use it, put
     #define HAVE_ALLOCA
     #define LIB_STANDARD -lPW -lc
  in the m-...h file for the machine.

  If you find that the character Meta-DEL makes Emacs crash,
  find where function init_sys_modes in sysdep.c sets sg.c_cc[VQUIT]
  and make it store 7 there.  I have as yet no evidence of whether
  this problem, known in HP-UX, exists in other system V versions.

System V rel 2.2 (s-usg5.2.2.h)

  In 5.2.2 AT&T undid, incompatibly, their previous incompatible
  change to the way the nlist library is called.  A different s- file
  is used to enable the other interface.

  They call themselves the right choice--can't they choose?

Machines:
  For each type of machine, the names of the m- and s- header files
  are given.

Apollo running Domain (m-apollo.h; s-bsd4.2.h)

  Works, but it is impossible to dump Emacs; the standard
  Lisp code must be loaded each time Emacs is started.  This
  is a limitation of their operating system.  In other respects
  the system appears to be Berkeley 4.2, and Emacs is told that
  it is running under 4.2.

AT&T 7300 (m-7300.h; s-usg5.0.h? not sure)

  Changes merged as of 17.57.  You may have to change
  the CPP= line to cc -E, in src/Makefile.

Celerity (m-celerity.h; s-bsd4.2.h)

  Works, as of 17.56.

Dual running System V (m-dual.h; s-usg5.2.h)

  As of 17.46, this works except for a few changes
  needed in unexec.c.

Dual running Uniplus (m-dual.h; s-unipl5.2.h)

  Works, as of 17.51.

Encore machine (m-ns16000.h; s-umax4.2.h)

  This machine bizarrely uses 4.2BSD modified to use the COFF format
  for object files.  Works (as of 17.52).

Gould

  A port has been done but has not been merged into this
  distribution version.

HP 9000s300 (m-hp200.h; s-hpux.h)

  Works as of 17.52.  This machine is a 68020.
  There are at least three kinds of "HP9000" that are really
  completely different computers.  The one called "series 500"
  uses a seriously incompatible memory architecture and it
  is not supported.  Supporting it would require solving
  difficult problems.

Masscomp

  An attempt was made but it encountered too many compiler bugs.

Megatest (m-mega68.h; s-bsd4.2.h)

  Emacs 15 worked; do not have any reports about Emacs 16 or 17
  but any new bugs are probably not difficult.

NCR Tower 32 (m-tower32.h; s-usg5.2.h)

  Works as of 17.56.

Nu (TI or LMI) (m-nu.h; s-usg5.2.h)

  Nearly working; a few bugs remain.

Plexus (m-plexus.h; s-usg5.2.h)

  Works as of 17.56.

Pyramid (m-pyramid.h; s-bsd4.2.h)

  In Pyramid system 2.5 there has been a compiler bug making
  Emacs crash just after screen-splitting with Qnil containing 0.
  A compiler that fixes this is Pyramid customer number 8494,
  internal number 1923.

  Some versions of the pyramid compiler get fatal
  errors when the -gx compiler switch is used; if this
  happens to you, change src/ymakefile to remove that switch.

Sequent Balance (m-sequent.h; s-bsd4.2.h)

  Emacs 17.52 works in their system version 2.0.
  Emacs has not been tried on their system version 1.3.

Stride (m-stride.h; s-usg5.2.h)

  Works (most recent news for 17.54).
  Note, however, that this was on a Unix version not
  yet released by Stride.  It is probably also possible
  to run on Stride's 5.1 system but changes in the s- file
  are probably needed.

Sun (m-sun.h, m-sun2.h, m-sun3.h; s-bsd4.2.h)

  There are three m- files for different models of Sun.
  All use Berkeley 4.2.  Emacs 17 has run on all of them.

Tahoe (m-tahoe.h; s-bsd4.2.h)

  Works, as of an early version 17.

Tektronix(?) 16000 box (m-16000.h; s-bsd4.2.h)

  Emacs 15 worked; no reports since then.

Vax running Berkeley Unix (m-vax.h; s-bsd4.1.h or s-bsd4.2.h or s-bsd4.3.h)

  Works.  Note that "ultrix" is essentially 4.2; use s-bsd4.2.h.

Vax running System V rel 2 (m-vax.h; s-usg5.2.h)

  17.53 is believed to fix the problems previously known.

Vax running System V rel 0 (m-vax.h; s-usg5.0.h)

  Works as of 17.56.

Vax running VMS

  Preliminary port completed; merging to be done soon.

--
Karl Kleinpaste

ltx@mhuxt.UUCP (okula) (07/15/86)

Thanks to all those who responded to my request for information
on the availability of GNU Emacs on System V.  The consensus is that any
GNU version greater than 17.49 would work on System V.  We had been
in the dark ages using version 13.  The moral of the story is keep
up with the distribution network!

I obtained a copy of 17.64 and put it up on my System V Release 2 Version 2 p
VAX 11/785.  The installation was relatively smooth, except I needed the
LOADER_N_SWITCH defined in s-usg5.2.2.h, in my release it was
commented out.  This caused a write error in unexec when temacs
dumped xemacs.  This switch causes the -N switch to be sent to ld
when building temacs, making it unsharable.  Does this also make
the resulting xemacs and emacs unsharable?  I was also unable to
build emacs using TERMINFO, it complained about finding a library.
I suspect this would be easy to correct, but I just used termcap.

Bob Kossey