[net.emacs] Slow terminal io with GNU Emacs on the Sun

JOS%CCRMA@SU-AI.ARPA (08/08/86)

From: Julius Smith <JOS%CCRMA@SU-AI.ARPA>

Is there any way to speed up the terminal io in GNU Emacs on the
Sun-3?  It looks like it is using a lot of padding after line-oriented
operations which it probably doesn't need. JOS@SU-AI

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (08/09/86)

>Is there any way to speed up the terminal io in GNU Emacs on the
>Sun-3?  It looks like it is using a lot of padding after line-oriented
>operations which it probably doesn't need. JOS@SU-AI

Gee, how fast do you want it...try the following two things:

1. in .defaults (or create a ~/.defaults) add the line

	/Tty/Retained "YES"

this does a speed/memory trade-off and seems to speed update up
quite a bit. I forget if you have to re-boot or just start a new
shelltool to make it take effect, whatever.

2. Make a termcap entry for sun that removes al and dl capabilities,
you may find that seems faster, especially with the first change.

This is all within sunwindows, on the raw console things may be different.
I dunno, *mine* updates the screen instantaneously it seems. Maybe I'm slow.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

dupuy@amsterdam.columbia.edu (Alexander Dupuy) (08/13/86)

I don't know how much setting Tty/Retained = "YES" will help, as we are still
running 2.2, but one change that does improve things greatly is to add AL and
DL (multiple add and delete line) capabilities to your termcap entry.

Here is the termcap entry we use here at Columbia:

# --------------------------------
#
# S: Sun Workstations, Silicon Graphics Iris Workstations
#
SM|sun|Sun Microsystems Workstation console:\
	:li#34:co#80:cl=^L:cm=\E[%i%d;%dH:nd=\E[C:up=\E[A:\
	:am:bs:km:mi:ms:pt:\
	:ce=\E[K:cd=\E[J:so=\E[7m:se=\E[m:\
	:kd=\E[B:kl=\E[D:ku=\E[A:kr=\E[C:kh=\E[H:\
	:k1=\EOP:k2=\EOQ:k3=\EOR:k4=\EOS:\
	:al=\E[L:dl=\E[M:im=:ei=:ic=\E[@:dc=\E[P:\
	:AL=\E[%dL:DL=\E[%dM:IC=\E[%d@:DC=\E[%dP:\
	:rs=\E[1r:
S-|sun-nic|sune|Sun Microsystems Workstation console without insert character:\
	:ic@:IC@:im@:ei@:tc=sun:

I don't know for sure whether the 3.x releases support multiple insert/delete
line, but I would be surprised if they didn't.  Note that adding AL/DL
capabilities is preferable to removing al/dl (or adding hefty padding values to
them so they won't be used).  See the file gnu/dist/INSTALL for a longer
discussion of how to tune your termcap.

@alex
arpa: dupuy@columbia.edu
uucp: ...!seismo!columbia!dupuy