[net.emacs] MicroEMACS and MS C

tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) (08/07/86)

[if you have seen this before, it is because I am reposting it
due to some trouble with a major feed upstream from me.]

A while back, there was a discussion about the standard memory
models offered by Microsoft C, and how none of them were really
right (ie. no small code, large data model).  Well, quite
accidentally, I stumbled across section 7.11.2 of the MSC User's
Guide, and found the section called "Creating Customized
Memory Models", and said, "Hey, I bet this could be what we all
need!".

I'm not an expert at diddling with these type of things (yet),
but I think the following switch is appropriate:

-Asfd

the s is for short code pointers, the f for far data pointers, and
the d I'm not real sure about.  The manual says that all the
memory models use d as a default which is stack segment equal
to data segment.  The other options are u, for separate DS and SS,
which I think is inappropriate, and w, for a separate SS, but no
fixed DS, which I'm *sure* is not appropriate.

BTW:  Section 7.11.2 is on page 151.

					Tad

P.S.:	There was a problem for a week with a feed somewhere
	downstream from ihnp4, and I think that a *LOT* of
	people would benefit from a reposting of MicroEMACS
	3.7. (including me!)
--
Tad Marko
..!ihnp4!killer!tad		||	..!ihnp4!alamo!infoswx!ntvax!tad

lawrence@duncan.UUCP (08/08/86)

	My feed site get real upset every time I send MicroEMACS out, and
also I seem to get flames whenever I post it in a different place. Perhaps
you could suggest an alternative way for me to get you a complete MicroEMACS 3.7?

					Daniel Lawrence
					ihnp4!pur-ee!pur-phy!duncan!lawrence

toma@tekgvs.UUCP (Thomas Almy) (08/11/86)

In article <243@killer.UUCP> tad@killer.UUCP writes:

>A while back, there was a discussion about the standard memory
>models offered by Microsoft C, and how none of them were really
>right (ie. no small code, large data model).  Well, quite
>accidentally, I stumbled across section 7.11.2 of the MSC User's
>Guide, and found the section called "Creating Customized
>Memory Models", and said, "Hey, I bet this could be what we all
>need!".
>
>I'm not an expert at diddling with these type of things (yet),
>but I think the following switch is appropriate:
>
>-Asfd
>
>the s is for short code pointers, the f for far data pointers, and
>the d I'm not real sure about.  The manual says that all the
>memory models use d as a default which is stack segment equal
>to data segment.  The other options are u, for separate DS and SS,
>which I think is inappropriate, and w, for a separate SS, but no
>fixed DS, which I'm *sure* is not appropriate.

But how do you recompile the C library for the mixed model when Microsoft
doesn't supply the library sources?  There is no library with short code
pointers and far data pointers.  I was thinking of just using the small model
but declaring the line structures to be far.  The trouble with this is that
I would have to write malloc.

At any rate, the new version 4.0 C supports a model with small code and
large data, so the problem is moot.

Tom Almy
Tektronix, Inc.

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (08/13/86)

>I stumbled across section 7.11.2 of the MSC User's
>Guide, and found the section called "Creating Customized
>Memory Models", and said, "Hey, I bet this could be what we all
>need!".

The problem with the customized memory models is that no library is
provided for them.

A better solution is to get MSC 4.0 that seems to have the correct
memory models (I haven't recieved my copy, so don't take this as an
endorsement).