[net.emacs] MicroEMACS 3.7 response

rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) (08/12/86)

[food for line eater]

I have mounted MicroEMACS 3.7 on my PC compatible using Lattice 2.14. I
had no problems, except I had to use large code and large data model to
get it to fit.

My problem is that response to some commands (e.g. PgDn) is distinctly
soggy. Is this true of all versions? just the PC version? Lattice C versions?

My machine is an 8086 based PC compatible, fitted with a NEC V30 and
running at the normal clock speed of 4.77 MHz.

Any ideas, anyone?
--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde

           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

toma@tekgvs.UUCP (Thomas Almy) (08/13/86)

In article <1774@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) writes:
>I have mounted MicroEMACS 3.7 on my PC compatible ...
>My problem is that response to some commands (e.g. PgDn) is distinctly
>soggy. Is this true of all versions? just the PC version? Lattice C versions?

I noticed that too.  In order to run with brain-damaged display adapters
(which snow) on every line it waits for the next vertical retrace interval to
move the character.  Thus it takes 24 retraces (almost a second) for a
complete screen rewrite.  If your display does not snow, just remove the
problem code from ibmpc.c.  It speeds up alot.

Also, when compiled with Microsoft C, most of the spawning operations just
plain don't work.  And control-P toggles the printer again.  I ended up taking
the code for the features I wanted that were new to 3.7 (incremental search,
modified C mode, new position display, quoting in search strings) and
retrofitting them into the version of 3.6 that has a working spawn and
handles my display (EGA in 43 line mode).

Tom Almy
Tektronix

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (08/14/86)

> [food for line eater]
>
> I have mounted MicroEMACS 3.7 on my PC compatible using Lattice 2.14. I
> had no problems, except I had to use large code and large data model to
> get it to fit.
>
> My problem is that response to some commands (e.g. PgDn) is distinctly
> soggy. Is this true of all versions? just the PC version? Lattice C versions?
>
> My machine is an 8086 based PC compatible, fitted with a NEC V30 and
> running at the normal clock speed of 4.77 MHz.
>
> Any ideas, anyone?
> --
>            Bob Eager
Except during high loads, most of the commands are acceptably fast on
my VAX (Ultrix == BSD3.2 or thereabouts), and I've had similar results
with 3.6 on my Amiga.  Its not exactly blinding, but fully usable.  Also,
on the VAX when the system's slow the cursor will keep up with my
typing and the program will go back and fill in what I typed when I
slow down.  Your problem on the PC may be due to the inherent slowness
of PCs, but there's a good chance you could blame your compiler's
large memory model as well.  Some of these models call memory access
routines for each and every pointer access in the program!  With some
code at least that could slow you down by a few orders of magnitude.
I'm not completely familiar with PC family compilers, but recently one
of the software magazines had an article on large-memory models for
8088... family systems (think it was Computer Language, but it could
have been DDJ).

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Dave Haynie    {caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

	"I gained nothing at all from Supreme Enlightenment, and
	 for that very reason it is called Supreme Enlightenment."
							-Gotama Buddha

	These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be yours too.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

jon@amc.UUCP (Jon Mandrell) (08/14/86)

<line eater food>

If you think 3.7 is bad, you should have seen 3.6.  Are you compiling it
with the IBMPC.C file, or with the ANSI.C file?  I find it runs faster with
the IBMPC.C.

Note that if you are running on a PC without a graphics adaptor, this code
will not work!  There is a #define for the screen location as 0xb8000000L.
This should be changed to 0xb0000000L.  Actually, the code should check
for this.

To the author of Micro-emacs:  I really like the program, but a question.
	Why do you provide #define's for Mark Williams C and then not
	support it in the code?  Version 3.6 had the same problem with
	both Mark Williams and Lattice v3.0.  It seems that you should
	either complete the #if's AND TEST IT, or remove them.

--
Jon Mandrell    (ihnp4!uw-beaver!tikal!amc!jon)
Applied Microsystems Corp.

"flames >& /dev/null" - me

dennis@CSNET-SH.ARPA (Dennis Rockwell) (08/15/86)

	From: Jon Mandrell <tikal!amc!jon@uw-beaver.ARPA>
	Date: 14 Aug 86 19:24:58 GMT
	Subject: Re: MicroEMACS 3.7 response

	[ ... ] It seems that you should
		either complete the #if's AND TEST IT, or remove them.

Give the guy a break!  Much of the compiler- and machine-specific code
is contributed; how is anybody supposed to afford to buy all possible
combinations of software and hardware to test?  The source code is
freely distributed so that *we* can make the changes and fixes that we
need and feed them back.

So, go fix your problems and mail them in.  The code is clear enough.

Dennis

dennis@CSNET-SH.ARPA (Dennis Rockwell) (08/15/86)

Greetings!

I've been looking into causes for the slow response that I've been
seeing on our overloadad 11/750.  Doesn't it bother anybody else that
the routine execute in main.c scans the entire binding table on each
keystroke?  For most keystrokes (those that effectively self-insert),
this search will fail.

I have rewritten the relevant code and rearranged keytab so that keytab
lookups are simple array indexes.  There really is a (bindable!)
self-insert command and function.  Startup is much faster because
bind-to-key is dramatically faster.  It's perceptibly harder to type
faster than emacs can update my screen.

Because of the complete rewrite of ebind.h, these changes are probably
too big to post.  However, I'm sending them to Daniel Lawrence, in hopes
of getting them into the next release.

The drawback here is that there are now three tables that are each 256
entries long, containing the keybindings.

I have also fixed wrapword to behave better (you've probably had it mess
up on you), and fillpara has been modified similarly (fillpara now just
removes all the newlines in the paragraph and calls wordwrap).  These
changes will also be sent to Daniel Lawrence.

Dennis

rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) (08/16/86)

In article <1680@tekgvs.UUCP> toma@tekgvs.UUCP (Thomas Almy) writes:
>In article <1774@eagle.ukc.ac.uk> rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) writes:
>>I have mounted MicroEMACS 3.7 on my PC compatible ...
>>My problem is that response to some commands (e.g. PgDn) is distinctly
>>soggy. Is this true of all versions? just the PC version? Lattice C versions?
>
>I noticed that too.  In order to run with brain-damaged display adapters
>(which snow) on every line it waits for the next vertical retrace interval to
>move the character.  Thus it takes 24 retraces (almost a second) for a
>complete screen rewrite.  If your display does not snow, just remove the
>problem code from ibmpc.c.  It speeds up alot.

Actually, that was the first thing I tried. Didn't seem to make a lot of
difference though. Perhaps it's just Lattice C (sigh)....

--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde

           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) (08/19/86)

[food for line eater]

Many  thanks  to  those  who  replied  to  my query about MicroEMACS 3.7
response on a PC-compatible. I had already tried for the retrace  delay,
but it didn't make a whole lot of difference...just snow.

Thanks to 'Ron' - I can't find his reply now. The problem was that I was
using the L model (large code and large data) because I couldn't get the
D  model  (small  code, large data) into 64K of code. He suggested using
the -s compiler  switch  which  tells  the  compiler  not  to  normalise
pointers; this speeded it up *and* got it under 64K so I could use the D
model and speed it up even more!

It's fine now. Thanks!
--
           Bob Eager