[net.emacs] GNU Emacs Modeline

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (08/14/86)

Does anybody know how to set the modeline in GNU Emacs to something
besides the default value?  I want to get rid of the dashes and move
things around a bit.  So far, I've found the variable
default-mode-line-format, but I don't know what the control characters
in the format string stand for.  It looks similar to the way Gosling
Emacs does its modeline, but not exactly.  Can anyone supply me with a
list of modeline control characters and what they stand for?

Secondly, I have the line

(display-time)

in my .emacs file.  However, I am not getting the time on the
modeline.  I am using the standard time.el library and default
modeline format.  Attempts to run M-x display-time when Emacs is in
operation place the message "time and load" on the modeline.  Then
Emacs overwrites the message with the old modeline.  Still no time.
Does anybody have an idea what I am doing wrong?

| Mike Portuesi								     |
| Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department		     |
|									     |
| ARPA: mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (preferred), mp1u@td.cc.cmu.edu		     |
| UUCP: {harvard | seismo | ucbvax | decwrl}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp	     |
|									     |
| "Little things remind me of you...Cheap cologne and that damn song too!"   |
|			--The Flirts, "Jukebox"				     |

salzman@rdlvax.UUCP (Gumby) (08/18/86)

In article <1061@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>(display-time)
>in my .emacs file.  However, I am not getting the time on the
>modeline.  I am using the standard time.el library and default
>modeline format.  Attempts to run M-x display-time when Emacs is in
>operation place the message "time and load" on the modeline.  Then
>Emacs overwrites the message with the old modeline.  Still no time.

Check the  execute     permission on    'loadst'. It's    in
/usr/local/lib/emacs/etc,  or  wherever you  keep your emacs
files. If emacs can't exec loadst it  will display 'time and
load' for a sec and then repaint with the original modeline.
This  happend to me when  I   forgot to   make loadst public
executeable (or the directory it's in)....

--
                                                              ----
* Isaac Salzman (Gumby)                                      /o o/  /

wombat@ccvaxa.UUCP (08/22/86)

From src/buffer.c:

  DefBufferLispVar ("mode-line-format", &bf_cur->mode_line_format,
    "Template string for displaying mode line for current buffer.\n\
Each buffer has its own value of this variable.\n\
The string is printed verbatim in the mode line\n\
except for %-constructs:\n\
  %b -- print buffer name.   %f -- print visited file name.\n\
  %* -- print *, % or hyphen.   %m -- print value of mode-name.\n\
  %s -- print process status.   %M -- print value of global-mode-string.\n\
  %p -- print percent of buffer above top of window, or top, bot or all.\n\
  %[ -- print one [ for each recursive editing level.  %] similar.\n\
  %% -- print %.   %- -- print infinitely many dashes.\n\
Decimal digits after the % specify field width to pad or truncate to.");