[net.emacs] Buffer vs. Window specific variables

liberte@b.CS.UIUC.EDU (07/18/86)

From: liberte@b.CS.UIUC.EDU (Daniel LaLiberte)

There are several buffer-local variables that might be more
useful as window-local variables.  In general, any variable
that affects the display only (and movement within the display)
should be part of the window structure so that the user would be
allowed to view a single buffer in more than one way.

As an example, I would like to view a buffer with selective-display in
one window while simultaneously viewing the buffer with no
selective-display in another window.  With a lisp extension, I could
move the point in the selective-display window and then "pass" that point
to the non-selective-display window for fast procedure hopping.

Is there a good reason to have the following variables buffer-local
as opposed to window-local?  Maybe we need a window-local list too.

	tab-width
	truncate-lines
	ctl-arrow
	selective-display

Dan LaLiberte
liberte@b.cs.uiuc.edu
liberte@uiuc.csnet
ihnp4!uiucdcs!liberte

barmar@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Barry Margolin) (07/18/86)

In article <2578@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> liberte@b.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>Is there a good reason to have the following variables buffer-local
>as opposed to window-local?  Maybe we need a window-local list too.
>
>	tab-width

Tab-width is generally an attribute of the text in a buffer, rather than
being specific to a particular display of the buffer.  For example, if a
buffer contains a file that was written on a system with a different
tab width you would set the tab-width of that buffer to be that of the
other system.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics