[net.emacs] GNU and 4.3

swalton@well.UUCP (Stephen R. Walton) (10/03/86)

Has anyone else out there tried GNU Emacs with 4.3BSD and the termcap file
which came with 4.3?  Basically, they don't seem to work together.  I just
rebuilt GNU 17.64 from source under 4.3.  Having discovered that 4.3 now
supports the enhanced termcap entries of GNU (like IC) plus more, I tried
the termcap entries out for a Tektronix 4105 terminal in its 30 line mode
and in its 24-line mode (in the latter mode, it is essentially a VT-100).
As a 4105, I don't get reverse video in the mode line.  As a VT-100,
GNU puts the mode line at the last screen line rather than the next-to-last
one.  Anyone have any ideas?  At this point, I'm tempted to remove the
GNU-supplied termcap.c file and replace it with "-ltermcap" in the link.
Anyone else tried this?
    A second 4.3 problem is that the time and load display doesn't seem
to display the load.

				Stephen Walton, AMETEK Computer Research

wohler@sri-spam.ARPA (Bill Wohler) (10/04/86)

In article <1878@well.UUCP> swalton@well.UUCP (Stephen R. Walton) writes:
>    A second 4.3 problem is that the time and load display doesn't seem
>to display the load.

in 4.3 systems /dev/kmem is readable to those in group kmem.
you'll have to make either $LISP/etc/loadst or gnuemacs
itself setgid to group kmem.

						--bw

I wrote:
>in 4.3 systems /dev/kmem is readable to those in group kmem.
>you'll have to make either $LISP/etc/loadst or gnuemacs
>itself setgid to group kmem.

change LISP to EMACS.  it's friday, okay?