[net.emacs] Question of curiosity: who is still

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (10/03/86)

> Is anyone still shelling out real $$$ to buy either Unipress' or CCA's
> emacs programs?  If so, why?
----------
There are several reasons for going with the commercial versions:
Support (not every site has hordes of hackers free to hunt for
problems and answer questions), features (there are still
some things that they can do that GNU can't -- like pop-up
windows), and libraries (some of the GNU packages are not as
capable as the corresponding Gosling packages -- mail and
c-mode come to mind).  Support is by far the most powerful
of those, especially to non-techie sites; the commercial
Emacses have phone numbers you can call for help.

Having said which, let me add that most Emacs users here have
switched to GNU for most purposes (I still read mail in Gosling
and I still do new code creation in Gosling).

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana

phr@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Rubin) (10/14/86)

Note that a number of people offer support services for GNU Emacs.  Their
rates and phone numbers are in the file etc/SERVICE, included in the
distribution.  This is not the same as having a central corporation standing
by to answer your questions, but (for a fee) they are probably willing to do
more work for you (such as writing custom macros, porting Emacs to your
machine, or coming to your site to teach users) and might be nearer you
(until the commercial suppliers open offices in places like Italy and
Australia).  Most importantly, you pay for the service only if you need it.

	Paul Rubin
	GNU collaborator (sometimes)

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike Meyer) (10/14/86)

In article <11600018@ccvaxa> preece@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:
>features (there are still
>some things that they can do that GNU can't -- like pop-up
>windows)

GNU does do pop-up windows. At least the version I have (17.63 or so)
does.

On the other hand, I've never seen a version of Goslings where you
could turn pop-up windows off and have things work right. To many
packages assumed that change-to-buffer (may have the wrong name here)
did a GNU-like "pop-to-buffer." This annoys me no end...

	<mike