[net.emacs] MS-DOS emacs??

pingguo@mhuxt.UUCP (PRATT) (09/30/86)

Does anybody know if there is an emacs editor for use
with an MS-DOS pc?  I have an AT&T pc6300 and would greatly
appreciate any information on where I could get a hold of
emacs.  Thanks.

			R. Pratt

rwillis@labs-b.bbn.com (Robert Willis) (10/01/86)

Try Epsilon, written by Lugaru Software Ltd.
It is similar to Emacs in that it the key-bindings are variable, and
it is extensible.  The major difference is that it does not use
Lisp (or Mock-Lisp) for the extensible language.  Instead it uses
a C-like language.  It seems to be well written -- I've never had
a problem with it.

I believe it costs ~$150.00.  Company address is:

  Lugaru Software Ltd.
  5740 Darlington Road
  Pittsburgh, PA  15217

Telephone Number:  (412) 421-5911

Bob

P.S.  I have used this on IBM PC-XTs and PC-ATs MS-DOS versions 2.x and 3.x

lenoil@apple.UUCP (Robert Lenoil) (10/02/86)

In article <1137@mhuxt.UUCP> pingguo@mhuxt.UUCP (52211-PRATT, RANDALL) writes:

>Does anybody know if there is an emacs editor for use
>with an MS-DOS pc?  I have an AT&T pc6300 and would greatly
>appreciate any information on where I could get a hold of
>emacs.  Thanks.
>
>			R. Pratt

You want Epsilon, from Lugaru Software in Pittsburgh.  It is a very complete
implementation of EMACS, and is fully reconfigurable, as all the editor
functions are written in pseudo-C, with source code and a compiler provided.
It's fast and compact, and sports such advanced methods as running a DOS shell
from within Epsilon, with all input and output going to an editor buffer.
Lugaru's number is (412) 421-5911.

Standard disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Lugaru, other than being a
satisfied customer.

Robert Lenoil

Hadden@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (10/02/86)

you might try epsilon from lugaru software in pittsburgh(?).  it's
extendable in c, though rather than lisp.  they include source code to
all of their commands and a very good manual for the extension writer.
*and*, it only costs around $200.

there is also available a gosling emacs from unipress for a lot more
money, but i haven't tried it.

-geo

gary@darth.UUCP (Gary Wisniewski) (10/07/86)

In article <1137@mhuxt.UUCP> pingguo@mhuxt.UUCP (52211-PRATT, RANDALL) writes:

>Does anybody know if there is an emacs editor for use
>with an MS-DOS pc?  I have an AT&T pc6300 and would greatly
>appreciate any information on where I could get a hold of
>emacs.  Thanks.

For those strictly interested in EMACS, there's the one from Unipress.
It's expensive (I'm not sure, but I think the going rate is about $500)
and very slow on the PC.  I found it barely acceptable on an AT.  On the
other hand, it is a complete Stallman EMACS implementation.

I use Epsilon (an EMACS clone) and am extremely satisfied.  It's blindingly
fast, has a C-like extension language, has a concurrent process buffer,
and (at least v3.05) seems to have no bugs or problems that I know of.
Cost is $195 from Lugaru Software Ltd, 5740 Darlington Rd., Pittsburgh
PA 15217.  (Ph (412) 421-5911).  Epsilon is also available from mail-order
houses.  Check PC Week or Dr. Dobbs.  Make sure you get 3.05.  Older
versions lack some of really impressive features.

Gary.

usenet:	{allegra, bellcore, cadre}!pitt!darth!gary
phone:	(412) 363-4685

latzko@andromeda.UUCP (Alex Latzko) (10/08/86)

In article <158@darth.UUCP> gary@darth.UUCP (Gary Wisniewski) writes:
>In article <1137@mhuxt.UUCP> pingguo@mhuxt.UUCP (52211-PRATT, RANDALL) writes:
>>Does anybody know if there is an emacs editor for use
>>with an MS-DOS pc?
>For those strictly interested in EMACS, there's the one from Unipress.
>On the other hand, it is a complete Stallman EMACS implementation.
>	                    ^^^^^^^^

Just going to beat the heat.  It is a GOSHLING implementation and does run
on PC class machines.  GNU emacs is ( as last I heard) still too big for
IBM-type PCs.

>I use Epsilon (an EMACS clone) and am extremely satisfied.
I agree wholeheartedly about Epsilon.
>Gary.

/S*
<latzko@andromeda.rutgers.edu
<backbone!topaz!andromeda!latzko

rs@mirror.UUCP (10/09/86)

/* Written 10:06 am  Oct  7, 1986 by gary@darth.UUCP in mirror:net.emacs */
In article <1137@mhuxt.UUCP> pingguo@mhuxt.UUCP (52211-PRATT, RANDALL) writes:
>For those strictly interested in EMACS, there's the one from Unipress.
>It's expensive (I'm not sure, but I think the going rate is about $500)
>and very slow on the PC.  I found it barely acceptable on an AT.  On the
>other hand, it is a complete Stallman EMACS implementation.
>Gary.
>usenet:	{allegra, bellcore, cadre}!pitt!darth!gary
>phone:	(412) 363-4685

HOO BOY!  Can't let this one pass -- it's too likely to be a source of
confusion!

Both Unipress and GNU started from the same point -- James Gosling's
emacs -- but have widely diverged.

When you say "complete Stallman EMACS" you're probably referring to the
original, Stallman's TWENEX (DECsystem-20) emacs written in TECO.  In
this sense, yes, Unipress is 'complete' in that it has all the major
features that the original does.  HOWEVER, Stallman is currently most
known for GNU emacs, and it would be a mistake if people thought
Unipress was selling something they aren't.

In fact, I am fairly sure that (for reasons of personal integrity),
neither GNU nor Unipress has looked at the other's code.

----
Rich $alz	rs@mirror.TMC.COM
		{mit-eddie, ihnp4, wjh12, cca, cbosgd, seismo}!mirror!rs
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Avenue  Cambridge, MA  02140
Telephone:	617-661-0777			"Hi, mom!"

barmar@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Barry Margolin) (10/10/86)

Boy, there's alot of "Stallman Emacs" misinformation flying around the
net these days.

>From: gary@darth.UUCP (Gary Wisniewski)
>
>For those strictly interested in EMACS, there's the one from Unipress.
>I use Epsilon (an EMACS clone) and am extremely satisfied.

Epsilon is as compatible with the original Stallman EMACS (see below for
more on this term) as Unipress EMACS is (actually, I am basing this on
some use of Gosling Emacs, but Unipress EMACS is a descendent of that).
The only Unix Emacs I know of that made a concerted attempt to be
compatible in look and feel to Stallman's EMACS was Zimmerman's, which
then became CCA EMACS.

>From: rs@mirror.UUCP
>
>When you say "complete Stallman EMACS" you're probably referring to the
>original, Stallman's TWENEX (DECsystem-20) emacs written in TECO.

The original was written for ITS (Incompatible Timesharing System, for
the PDP-10).  It was later ported to TOPS-20.

>....  HOWEVER, Stallman is currently most
>known for GNU emacs, and it would be a mistake if people thought
>Unipress was selling something they aren't.

Depends on who you ask.  If it weren't for ITS EMACS, none of the rest
would exist today.  We'd all be floundering in VI or Z.  If Stallman's
name goes down in computer history, I personally hope that he is
remembered for the original EMACS; GNU is good, but it hasn't yet had
the impact on the industry that EMACS has.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Robert Montante) (10/15/86)

I find microEMACS (v3.7) to be a nice version, although I'm not extremely
familiar with others.  A professor of mine says he prefers Epsilon (slightly)
because he can define custom commands more easily.  On the other hand, the price
for microEMACS is just about unbeatable.  There was a source-and-executable
posting on net.micro.pc awhile ago, and its author posted a BBS phone number
for it here (I saw it as "Re: Orphaned") recently.
	BTW -- I've seen the claim that it should be compilable under "small-
code-large-memory" model, but when I tried with Lattice 2.15, I got a ~78K file
so I had to go to "large-code-large-memory" (I'm trying for maximum IBM PC
compatibility).  Am I doing something wrong, or is that just the way it goes?

 Datclaimer: "[Usual disclaimer: I have no opinion, therefore I don't exist .]"
Disclaimer: I opine, therefore I am.  My employer, however, is a figment.

RAMontante
Computer Science				"Have you hugged ME today?"
Indiana University