tower@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU (10/14/86)

From: tower@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.)

   From: ccvaxa!aglew@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
   Newsgroups: net.emacs
   Date: 11 Oct 86 01:43:00 GMT
   Apparently-To: emacs-netnews-distribution@mit-prep

       (2) a good mail reader
	   The mail systems that came with GNU are clumsy. I'm looking for
	   something more like Gosling's reader, with lots of files instead
	   of everything in a single file; I could port Gosling's, but it's
	   probably copyright.

GNU's rmail mode has the capability to save messages in a number of
files and run rmail on any number of these files in different windows.
I use it this way all the time, saving all the files in a
sub-directory of my home directory.

The only thing "missing" (perhaps) is a user-interface inside the
rmail command set to use such a collection of rmail files.  I say
"perhaps" because I find using the existing emacs commands gets the
job done.  The few extra keystrokes have never bothered me enough to
make such an interface personally worth writing or even remembering.

The above is my personal opinion and is NOT an official opinion of
Project GNU or the Free Software Foundation.

Len Tower
Project GNU of the Free Software Foundation

UUCP:       {}!mit-eddie!mit-prep!tower
INTERNET:   tower@prep.ai.mit.edu
ORGANIZATION: Project GNU, Free Software Foundation,
   1000 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA +1 (617) 876-3296
HOME: 36 Porter Street, Somerville, MA  02143, USA +1 (617) 623-7739

rlk@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Robert L Krawitz) (10/15/86)

In article <3465@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> tower@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU writes:
>From: tower@PREP.AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.)
>
>       (2) a good mail reader
>	   The mail systems that came with GNU are clumsy. I'm looking for
>	   something more like Gosling's reader, with lots of files instead
>	   of everything in a single file; I could port Gosling's, but it's
>	   probably copyright.
>
>GNU's rmail mode has the capability to save messages in a number of
>files and run rmail on any number of these files in different windows.
>I use it this way all the time, saving all the files in a
>sub-directory of my home directory.

I suspect that what aglew means is something that saves each message
in a separate file, like mh.  The answer to that is to use mh-rmail,
if you run mh.

>The only thing "missing" (perhaps) is a user-interface inside the
>rmail command set to use such a collection of rmail files.  I say
>"perhaps" because I find using the existing emacs commands gets the
>job done.  The few extra keystrokes have never bothered me enough to
>make such an interface personally worth writing or even remembering.

I agree.  Rmail works fine with multiple mail files.
--
Robert^Z