[net.emacs] Micro-EMACS 3.7i -- bugs and comments

greg@xios.UUCP (Greg Franks) (10/30/86)

In article <8610221417.AA09421@Yale-Bulldog.YALE.ARPA> ram@YALE.ARPA (Ashwin Ram) writes:
(from net.micro.atari16)
>[So you thought there were no bugs left, eh?]
>
>Hi...  uEmacs 3.7i works and is wonderful.   But, as always,  we  unsatisfied
>users want more!   Here are 5 bugs and 3 suggestions which I would appreciate
>your help with:
>

>2b.  Using ESC to delimit search strings is silly.  If you really don't  want
>to use RETURN, why not use  ENTER?   Better  still,  I  would  suggest  using
>RETURN, and making ^J insert a ^J in the search string, and ^M  a  ^M.   That
>way you can use ^J to get a NL in the search string (since ^J is a  NL),  and
>RETURN can still delimit the search string which is makes more sense since  I
>think it's more intuitive.  In fact, I usually use control-RETURN to  delimit
>search strings since it is faster to type ^S-^RETURN when you want to  repeat
>a search than ^S-RETURN

The search terminators should be bindable (like the meta key).  I have
to type ^3 (control-3) on my vt220 terminal for <escape> right now :-(.
I would rather bind the terminator to something else (like FN^N).  (I use
sys V curses, so I can get 10 function keys and the cursor keys - .emacsrc
takes care of the rest).

We in terminal land don't have control-return, so I don't think it
should be used as a terminator.  I bind the function "hunt-forward" to a
function key (1 keystroke instead of 2 or 3).  (The backwards function is
"hunt-backward"  (Before flaming, see item 4. - he can't RTFM)).

>4.  Is there documentation available for 3.7i?  I was thinking of the  syntax
>of regular expressions  in  particular,  but  a  brief  description  of  each
>function and customizable flags would be nice too.

Regular expressions! Gee - I wish - but then again, I only have 3.7 (from
mod.sources).  Can I get sources (I suspect search.c is all that's needed)?
Better yet, could the pattern matching stuff goto either net.sources or
mod.sources?

Happy hacking!
  Greg Franks