[net.emacs] HELP WANTED FOR MicroEMACS 3.7i for VMS!

SPIROS%RCSMST%gmr.com@RELAY.CS.NET ("Spiros Triantafyllopoulos @ 386RANB) (11/07/86)

Hello!

I got the sources for microEMACS 3.7i, and I am trying to compile
it for VMS 4.4 on a VAX 750. I am having trouble getting it to
run, as it always dies on the "vtinit( )" routine, module DISPLAY.C

I am pretty sure I have the wrong #define's on estruct.h. I have ANSI
and VT100 defined on an earlier version of microEMACS (for VMS), and it works
fine. It does not work with 3.7i. I also tried #define'ing VMSVT
and setting ANSI to 0, and lots more combinations. It produces a couple
of LINK messages for doubly-defined modules (getline and pipe in
VAX CRTL), and when I try to run it produces an access violation.

The error message is as follows:

RCSMST> set def [spiros.uemacs]
RCSMST> run uemacs
%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=00, virtual address=00000000,
                  PC=0000BCEE, PSL=03C00004
%TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows

module name     routine name                     line       rel PC    abs PC

DISPLAY         vtinit                            609      0000002B  0000BCEE
MAIN            main                             2144      00000036  00003E36
RCSMST>

Would any kind soul that has 3.7i running on VMS offer some hints
on the #define's and/or LINK problems? It is very strange because I
got 3.6 up and running a while ago in about half an hour!

Thanks in advance...

Spiros Triantafyllopoulos, GM Research Labs
                           Warren, MI. 48090
                           Spiros@GMR.COM

PS: Also on the same subject, does anyone have the VT100/VT200 arrow
    keys working?

greg@xios.UUCP (Greg Franks) (11/11/86)

In article <8611071407.AA07394@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> SPIROS%RCSMST%gmr.com@RELAY.CS.NET ("Spiros Triantafyllopoulos @ 386RANB) writes:

>Spiros Triantafyllopoulos, GM Research Labs
>                           Warren, MI. 48090
>                           Spiros@GMR.COM
>
>PS: Also on the same subject, does anyone have the VT100/VT200 arrow
>    keys working?

The big trick to getting the arrow keys working is mapping the escape
sequence to something reasonable.  This technique can also be used
to map the keypad to all sorts of things (so that you can even
make a half-hearted attempt to fake EDT if you want to).  Once you have
mapped the escape sequences to something reasonable, you can then set
default bindings in ebind.h, or by setting up a .emacsrc file.
For example,  I have bound the vt100 arrow keys to FNA, FNB, FNC and FND.
This binding is performed in tinfo.c (our terminal interface file).
You will probably have to hack up vmsvt.c.

                            * * * BEWARE * * *
Of course, mapping the cursor keys opens up a new can of worms for dealing
with <esc> all by itself.  Curses looks after it on our SYSV machines.
You may have to be inventive with QIO calls.

*----*

In general, you will probably find hacking uemacs quite easy to do.  Many
thanks to Daniel Lawrence and Dave Conroy for such a neat editor.