[net.decus] set protection

nrh@lzwi.UUCP (N.R.HASLOCK) (08/21/85)

In article <993@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP>, pwyc@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Peter Chen) writes:
> I want to make all my data files readable to the world (in VMS), so I do a
> SET PROTECTION (W:R) *.DAT;* (don't have the manual in front of me, so I
> could be off on the syntax), and it works fine; but the protection seems
> to apply only to .DAT files existing at the time the command is executed.
> Newer files, even newer versions of existing files, seem to lose this
> protection. Does anyone know how to circumvent this problem?
>                 - Peter Chen
Two choices.	Set Prot (....)/def defines the default protection
for all subsequently created files. Alternatively, Create a
logout.com file which does the specific set prot of .dat files. You
may need to point logout at the file. i.e. lo*gout := @logout.com
{ihnp4|vax135|allegra}!lznv!nrh
	Nigel		The Mad Englishman or
			The Madly Maundering Mumbler in the Wildernesses

Everything you have read here is a figment of your imagination.
Noone else in the universe currently subscribes to these opinions.

"Its the rope, you know. You can't get it, you know."