[net.decus] VMS file protections

kvc@scgvaxd.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (08/22/85)

In article <993@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> pwyc@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Peter Chen) writes:
>I want to make all my data files readable to the world (in VMS), so I do a
>SET PROTECTION (W:R) *.DAT;* (don't have the manual in front of me, so I
>could be off on the syntax), and it works fine; but the protection seems
>to apply only to .DAT files existing at the time the command is executed.
>Newer files, even newer versions of existing files, seem to lose this
>protection. Does anyone know how to circumvent this problem?

This was a problem under VMS version 3 (and earlier).  Newly created files
are always given your default process protection mask (set this with
SET PROT=(whatever-you-want)/DEFAULT) if you don't specify the prot
when you create the file (this is easier in some languages than others).

Due to popular demand, the behaviour was changed in version 4.  Newly
created files now inherit their protections in the following order:

1) The protection mask specified in the file open.
2) The default prot mask in the access control list of the parent directory.
3) The protection mask of the previous version of the file (what you want!).
4) The protection mask of the parent directory.
5) Your process' default protection mask.

The version 3 mechanism is similar to this, but has only entries number
1 and 5.  Also, I may be confused on the order of 2 and 3, they may be
swapped.

Version 4 has been out since the beginning of this year.  Your system
should be running it by now, but maybe not.

	/Kevin Carosso     {allegra|ihnp4|seismo}!scgvaxd!engvax!kvc
	 Hughes Aircraft Co.