[net.decus] terminal logging for VMS 4.x

mazur@inmet.UUCP (09/06/85)

I finally found out how to do Unix-like script under VMS!  This
keeps a log file of your terminal session, which is frequently useful.
All you have to do (on a VMS 4.x system with DECnet) is a:

$ SET HOST 0/LOG=name_of_the_log_file

What this does is spawn a DECnet login to your host, and requires you to
login again (note: you will be "logged in" twice to your host).  When you
log out, you will be returned to your original login process, and the
terminal log file is closed.

Beth Mazur
{ihnp4,ima,harpo}!inmet!mazur

Note: this solution originally appeared in fa.info-vax.

chriss@midas.UUCP (Chris Shirkoff) (09/26/85)

In article <18300004@inmet.UUCP> mazur@inmet.UUCP writes:

>[To keep] a log file of your terminal session,
>..(on a VMS 4.x system with DECnet) [type]:
>
>$ SET HOST 0/LOG=name_of_the_log_file

A DECnet license is not required to do a SET HOST 0 with VMS 4.x,
if I recall my instructors words correctly.  Purchasing the DECnet
license just adds the ability to reach other hosts.

With MicroVMS 4.1, it's another story -- you don't get nothin'
free.
--

UUCP:	tektronix!midas!chriss