[net.decus] TSX-Plus/RT-11 Help Wanted

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (10/03/85)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

Can anyone give me some help on the TSX-Plus timesharing
system which runs with RT-11?
Specifically, I am helping someone expand his system.
He now has a PDP-11/44 running RT-11 version 4.0
and TSX-Plus.
He wants to add another terminal.  He already has the
serial port hardware, he just needs to adjust the
software.
He presently has 2 DLV11-J 4-port serial boards.
4 ports are used for terminals, two are for the printers.
The other two are not being used.  He wants
to set one up for a modem (incoming).

So, the question is...
Does he hacve to re-do his RT-11 SYSGEN?
Or does he have to INSTALL another terminal handler?
Or does he just re-do TSGEN?

I ran the RESORC command and it says that RT-11 has no
multi-terminal support, but looking in the SYCND.MAC file
seems to indicate it was requested.  Does TSX totally
override what RT-11 set up?
As you can see, I don't know a lot about how this system
was set up (someone did it for them 3 years ago and
it hasn't changed since).
I read through the RT-11 SYSGEN manual and the TSX manual
and there are an awful lot of things they leave out, such as
EXACT definitions of some technical terms.

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

ken@rochester.UUCP (De onbekende kat) (10/03/85)

Last I remembered, TSX was configured independently from RT-11, only
retaining compatibility with RT-11 programs. Do another TSGEN.

Terminal handlers are shared, if I remember correctly. You just have
to let TSX know the lines are there.

	Ken
--
UUCP: ..!{allegra,decvax,seismo}!rochester!ken ARPA: ken@rochester.arpa
USnail:	Dept. of Comp. Sci., U. of Rochester, NY 14627. Voice: Ken!

hummel@csd2.UUCP (Robert Hummel) (10/05/85)

Mike Ciaraldi writes:

> Can anyone give me some help on the TSX-Plus timesharing
> system which runs with RT-11?
> I read through the RT-11 SYSGEN manual and the TSX manual
> and there are an awful lot of things they leave out, such as
> EXACT definitions of some technical terms.

1. Reconfiguration of TSX-Plus to change the number or type of time-
sharing lines is accomplished entirely by editing the TSGEN.MAC file
and then rebuilding TSX-Plus. In fact, TSX-Plus requires a stripped-
down RT-11 single-job system, and attempts to build a more complex
version of RT-11 will probably lead TSX to tell you that it does not
have enough memory to start. The only requirement of importance is
that RT-11 recognize all loadable device drivers specified for TSX:
terminals are not handled through a loadable driver by TSX.

2. Changing the number and type of lines is well described in the
TSX-Plus System Manager`s Guide. Basically, you need to change the
declared number of lines, then add a LINDEF statement for each new
line. If a new multiplexer is to be added, a new MUXDEF will be
needed as well as a LINDEF. The TSGEN.MAC file adequately describes
the flags that determine whether a line is remote or local, and so
forth.

3. S&H (the people who wrote TSX) are generally competent and helpful.
Call them if you still have problems.

4. TSX-Plus is an extremely nice system for a small multi-user PDP11
system. Apart from anything else, informal tests suggest that it is
a great deal more efficient than either RSX-11 (gak) or 2.9BSD Unix.
I have used it for three years, and recommend it highly.

5. There are hordes of trademarks here. I am in now way associated
with the owners of any of them except as a frequently-dissatisfied
customer. I am more satisfied with TSX than with most other things
in the computer software world.

				Tony Movshon
				(using a friend`s account)

through 11.1.85	uucp:	{seismo|ihnp4}!cmcl2!xp!tony
		arpa:	xp!tony@nyu
		usps:	Department of Psychology
			NYU
			6 Washington Place
			New York, NY 10003

after 11.1.85   arpa:	jam%ox.prgv@ucl-cs
		usps:	University Laboratory of Physiology
			Parks Road
			Oxford OX1 3PT
			England

phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) (10/07/85)

All he needs to do is to modify TSGEN.MAC (between the "======"'s that
mark the user-configurable parameters.  RT-11 multiterminal support is
NOT required.

If he has any difficulty bringing TSX+ up after the regeneration, he might
need to reduce the size of RT-11 by regenerating the RT-11 baseline or
single job monitor, but that's unlikely.  Also, if the system seems to
crash frequently with a "no free fork blocks" message, he may need to
increase NUMFRK (near the beginning of TSGEN.MAC).  With the RT-11 baseline
monitor, 14 lines running on two DZ-11 multiplexors, and NUMFRK = 170,
we have few problems on an 11/24.

--

                        John Miller  (ecsvax!phco)
                        Dept. of Pharmacology, Univ. of N.C.-Chapel Hill

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (10/08/85)

> From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>
>
> Can anyone give me some help on the TSX-Plus timesharing
> system which runs with RT-11?
> Mike Ciaraldi
> seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

Thanks to everyone who sent me mail and follwoup messages.
I have successfully redone the TSX system generation
(as it says in the manul, it really DOES take 15-30 minutes
once you know what you want to do), and everything is working well.
Thanks again.
Stay tuned to this newsgroup for more of my troubles with this system...

Mike