[net.decus] digtal employee's mail addresses

hosking@convexs.UUCP (12/20/85)

> You also mentioned that we should send a copy of SPRs directly to
> the Ultrix group when we either submit the paper form or call TSC.
> I like the idea. Would you like to set up a seperate userid to
> receive such electronic SPRs? I understand that the paper work
> must also be filled out; but getting the problem into your hands
> sooner improves the chances that we will see a fix in the next release.

This  would seem to be getting far too close to the idea of commercial use
of the net.  Convex has a similar means for our customers to submit bug
reports and questions.  We had considered using generic usenet email for
this, but rejected the idea because we didn't want to use the net for
blatantly commercial purposes.  (You probably also don't want to send
proprietary code around over something like usenet.)  Instead, we have
direct uucp links to many of our customers, with phone support available for
those who wish (for whatever reason) not to connect their machines to the
UUCP world.  I would hope that others would also resist the temptation to
use the net for commercial purposes.  Perhaps a network of Ultrix sites
could be established to pass along the bug reports without burdening the
resto fo the net.

		Doug Hosking
		Convex Computer Corp.
		Richardson, TX
		{allegra, ihnp4, uiucdcs]!convex!hosking

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (12/26/85)

In article <14700001@convexs>, hosking@convexs.UUCP writes:
> > You also mentioned that we should send a copy of SPRs directly to
> > the Ultrix group when we either submit the paper form or call TSC.
> > I like the idea. Would you like to set up a seperate userid to
> > receive such electronic SPRs?

> This  would seem to be getting far too close to the idea of commercial use
> of the net.  We had considered using generic usenet email for
> this, but rejected the idea because we didn't want to use the net for
> blatantly commercial purposes.  Instead, we have
> direct uucp links to many of our customers, with phone support available for
> those who wish (for whatever reason) not to connect their machines to the
> UUCP world.

This site is paying to pass mod.computers.sun, and net.decus, even
though it is neither.  We pass others e-mail and vice versa.

I think it is a GOOD idea to use the net to pass low-volume e-mail for bug
reports.  However, it is incumbent on the vendor to make sure that
this isn't abused, by setting up direct UUCP links and/or regional
mail gathering by willing (Ultrix) sites for insertion via direct UUCP
links as the volume increases.  If you're a purist, the first
report from a new site contains, via return mail, the direct uucp
login to use in the future.

There is nothing that requires that the uucp mail carries NOT ONE
SINGLE FOR PROFIT WORD.  A little common sense and use of the golden
rule -- mail through others as you would have them mail through you--
is in order here.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

hosking@convexs.UUCP (12/30/85)

> There is nothing that requires that the uucp mail carries NOT ONE
> SINGLE FOR PROFIT WORD.  A little common sense and use of the golden
> rule -- mail through others as you would have them mail through you--
> is in order here.

I have no real problem with your comments on this (though the gateway sites
might, if 5000 PC users submitted "just this one bug report.")  My main
concern here is that I don't want to see the net turn into something where
everybody attempts to free load off of everybody else in order to cut down
on the normal expenses of doing business.  If people get the idea that they
can submit bug reports to vendors via the net, it's easy to keep taking
things to the next logical step.... return patches or new executables via
the net, etc.  This could easily get out of control in a hurry if a company
the size of DEC or AT&T started trying to do even limited software
distribution via the net.  Fortunately, I haven't seen many blatant attempts
to do this sort of thing.

Your idea of a return uucp login seems reasonable from a net load
standpoint, though you could presumably do one better by giving out that
info when the machine is first installed.  This would put the support burden
where it belongs... on the vendor or a user group.  If the user group decides
to do full blown software releases via their *own* net, who's to gripe ?

You're right that the key is common sense and use of the golden rule.  I'm
not about to scream for the abolition of net.bugs.*, net.decus, or other
such groups, even if they are indirectly commercial in nature, as long as
the primary use of these groups seems to be to benefit the net as a whole
instead of just one company.  If everybody would use a little common sense,
we wouldn't have to make an issue out of something like this.