[net.decus] C

mark@exodus.DEC (02/07/86)

Hello.  I would like to find a C compiler for VMS 4.x (or specifically,
version 4.3).  I called DECUS, and they said they had a 3.x version
but I would have problems on my system with it.  Is the author working
on an updated version that will work with 4.x? Or does anybody have it?

		Thank you very much,
		Mark Hald

story@calma.UUCP (Glen Story) (02/07/86)

In article <975@decwrl.DEC.COM> mark@exodus.DEC writes:

>Hello.  I would like to find a C compiler for VMS 4.x (or specifically,
>version 4.3).  I called DECUS, and they said they had a 3.x version
>but I would have problems on my system with it.  Is the author working
>on an updated version that will work with 4.x? Or does anybody have it?
>
>		Thank you very much,
>		Mark Hald

What's wrong with the one your company sells?

minow@decvax.UUCP (Martin Minow) (02/08/86)

A writer contacted Decus for a C compiler that runs on VMS V4.x.
Decus explained that they only had a compiler that ran on VMS V3.7
"and that you would have problems running it on VMS V4."

The writer asked whether the author is working on that problem.

There may be some confusion here:  Dec offers an excellent C
compiler for VMS.  Your local sales office can give you more
information.

Decus C runs in compatibility mode (i.e., PDP-11, rather than Vax).

The author -- myself -- does use it on VMS V4, but has not released
a revised version for several reasons:  among them are the lack
of time to test Decus C on the five or six operating systems on
which it runs.

If you need a C compiler for VMS, use Vax-C.

Martin Minow
decvax!minow

sutter@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) (02/08/86)

In article <975@decwrl.DEC.COM>, mark@exodus.DEC writes:
                                             ^^^

> Hello.  I would like to find a C compiler for VMS 4.x (or specifically,
> version 4.3).  I called DECUS, and they said they had a 3.x version
> but I would have problems on my system with it.  Is the author working
> on an updated version that will work with 4.x? Or does anybody have it?
>
> 		Thank you very much,
> 		Mark Hald

If Mark's sales rep is as hard to find within DEC as ours is outside...
maybe he should wait for the author of the DECUS version to finish his port
to 4.x :-)
--
-----
Human: Bob Sutterfield